× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recommendation request, Netgear Access Point for Orbi RBR50

skibum75
Aspirant

Recommendation request, Netgear Access Point for Orbi RBR50

My use case: I have very good cable internet feeding my equally good Orbi Mesh network (1 hub 1 satellite). I want to provide a WiFi signal to my sister's house, two houses away (200'). The neighbor in between is uncooperative.

I have a mast from a prior dish installation which has partial line of sight to her house. This mast has a free regular coax cable running into the house to the Orbi router location.

I've looked at the RBS50Y Orbi Outdoor for the mast. I'm confident the Orbi Outdoor will see the Orbi router, but getting power to the mast will be ugly, and I'm not sure about the Orby Outdoor signal reaching her (and the vendor return policy if it doesn't.)

My thoughts have turned to dropping an Access Point right next to my Orbi router.  The Access Point would need a replaceable external antenna, to which I would attach the free coax running out to the mast, and into a simple unpowered directional antenna. Co-locating an indoor Access Point with the Orbi Hub allows for ethernet backhaul, and power ceases to be an issue.

I know how to set the Access Point with it's own SSID and take care of security, but I don't know jack about coax cables or connectors (pun intended).

So the recommendation I'm looking for is:

(1) Orbi-compatible Access Point with an external antenna mount(s)
- Some of these things bristle with antennas, I'd need guidance on which Access Point antenna jack to use

(2) Some sort of coax adapter to hook the Access Point antenna jack to the standard coax male terminator.

(3) (optional) Directional outdoor antenna with a coax connector

Or I could just roll the dice and try the Orbi Outdoor.

Many thanks in advance,

Old Skibum

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

200ft is pushing the distance at which wireless works well.  I think you'd end up with issues.  A point to point system might be a better option for you. I'll post a couple links off amazon. I'm not recommending them as I've never used them but I think you'd have better results going like this:
orbit router---point to point system---Acess point at sisters house. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZDC64I/ref=psdc_1194486_t2_B002K683V0

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Bridge-Lite-EZBR-0214-Outdoor-Wireless-System/dp/B002K683V0

There's many different types of these systems so I'd do your research first.

I know I've tested my outdoor orbi at around 150ft  (outdoor, direct line of sight) and barely pulled 10mbps. thats why I think you'd be stretching it at the 200ft. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

200ft is pushing the distance at which wireless works well.  I think you'd end up with issues.  A point to point system might be a better option for you. I'll post a couple links off amazon. I'm not recommending them as I've never used them but I think you'd have better results going like this:
orbit router---point to point system---Acess point at sisters house. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZDC64I/ref=psdc_1194486_t2_B002K683V0

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Bridge-Lite-EZBR-0214-Outdoor-Wireless-System/dp/B002K683V0

There's many different types of these systems so I'd do your research first.

I know I've tested my outdoor orbi at around 150ft  (outdoor, direct line of sight) and barely pulled 10mbps. thats why I think you'd be stretching it at the 200ft. 

Message 2 of 3
skibum75
Aspirant

Thanks for the tips.  Was hoping to avoid running power to the mast but will add this to my options. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7