× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recommendations Needed - 5500sf Home

Recommendations Needed - 5500sf Home

Need some recommendations - Just moved into a 5500 sf home that is wired throughout. Having lots of issues with wifi at this point. We currently own the CM1000 modem and C7000 AC1900 Router. Trying to get really good internet/wifi on each level of home (up, main and basement). Also trying to use the hard-wire option in about 5 areas/rooms. I looked at the MK63 - Nighthawk Mesh wifi 6 system at Costco but it looks like it already has a router and is likely too small for our home. There are so many options out there...I'm at a loss. We are a family of 4 with lots of iPhones, iPads, laptops (schooling) and gaming (PS4, VR, etc). We also use Roku for TV streaming in almost all of our bedrooms. Tried to find a phone number for sales but thought I'd reach out to the community. Thank you!  

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router, CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Recommendations Needed - 5500sf Home

The though of looking at orbi is a great idea. 

I understand you already have a modem and a router in the C7000 is a modem/router combo device. But I'd still look at the route of orbi. 

Either in a system like the RBK43/53 or even moving to the orbi AX. 

The nice thing is that you can add satellites easily if you're needing more coverage and its seamless. 

hacking together a different system leaves you with multiple ssid and rigging. 

With that sized house, it'd be nice/easier/more stable to just do it right the first time. 

Message 2 of 6

Thanks, Plemans. Is the Orbi mesh system significantly better than the Nighthawk WiFi 6 mesh solution?  And you mentioned Orbi RBK 43/53 (I found RBK 743/753...is that what you meant?) And what is the AX system? Are you referring to the AX6000? 

We have pretty much determined that we'll need to use a mesh system and probably won't use our Nighthawk R7000 due to the reasons you mentioned. Just trying to figure out the best mesh setup at this point. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you're talking the netgear nighthawk MK62 system, I'd avoid it. Its a dual band system and it might be fine for a smaller home but in a home your size, I'd go with either last generations triband AC (wifi 5) version or the newer AX (wifi 6).  

Depending on what you want/budget the triband orbi's are the way to go. I've got the older AC (RBK53 & RBK43) and both were great. I haven't played with the newer RBK853 (and other variants) yet but I've heard good things about them from other forum members. 

Message 4 of 6

Thank you so much! I purchased the Orbi AX4200 from Costco and am getting smoking speeds right now! Appreciate your advice. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear its working great!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements