× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Reconnecting extender: can't see NETGEAR_EXT

jdefazioaz
Tutor

Reconnecting extender: can't see NETGEAR_EXT

After changing my wi-fi password, now trying to reconnect my extender. On my laptop or tablet, the extender network, NETGEAR_EXT, is not showing up.

Note: all was working fine an hour ago when I decided (stupidly) to change my wi-fi pw. I should not have done that, now I can't reconnect the extender.

Model: EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a simple factory reset and then re-installing the extender? 

Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on. then follow the install guide for it. 

Message 2 of 6
jdefazioaz
Tutor

Yes, did a factory reset, still stuck. At the step where it says "now go into your device's network settings menu and connect to your network" (paraphrasing), sounds easy, but I no longer see my network in the available choices. I see all my neighbors' networks, but not mine.

Model: EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Cheat then.

Hard wire into the extender for setup. Just make sure to disable the wifi on whatever device you're hardwiring into it so it doesn't default back to the wireless during setup. 

Message 4 of 6
jdefazioaz
Tutor

Ok, sounds plausible, but now another problem: Now I can't login to the Nighthawk app, on my tablet, as I was doing before. There I could at least confirm "devices connected" to the extender.

So guess what, there IS no "forgot password" for the Nighthawk app -- it loops you into the NG website, where you then have to enter your ROUTER'S serial number. But two problems: I didn't have to do that the first time, when I was successful, and 2) I don't HAVE a Netgear router (I have a router supplied by Xfinity).

So...before I even try to hardwire, how do I get logged back into Nighthawk?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

log into your router and check to see which ip address the router assigned to the extender. 

use that to access the router. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7