× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Removed extender from Home, Ethernet still showing _EXT

scurry126
Aspirant

Removed extender from Home, Ethernet still showing _EXT

Hey everyone. Originally, my Netgear R7000P AC2300 was placed in the middle of my home, so that the whole house could connect to the WiFi. In my office, I had purchased a TP-Link AC750 WiFi Extender so that my PC could have better connection. I connected my PC via Ethernet to that WiFi Extender. The network name was NETGEAR_EXT.

I have now moved my Netgear R7000P AC2300 into my office, so I can maximize my network performance by connecting directly to the router via Ethernet to my PC.

When connected via Ethernet to the Netgear router, my ethernet connection still shows that I'm connected to NETGEAR_EXT. That extender is no longer plugged into the wall and my WiFi is disabled on my PC.

How am I still connecting to the _EXT network? When plugged in via Ethernet, the network is named NETGEAR_EXT but the WiFi signal is just named NETGEAR. Am I actually connecting to the proper network, but the it's just mislabeled as _EXT? How do I rename my connection so that it doens't have the _EXT?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Removed extender from Home, Ethernet still showing _EXT

@scurry126 wrote:

How am I still connecting to the _EXT network? When plugged in via Ethernet, the network is named NETGEAR_EXT but the WiFi signal is just named NETGEAR. Am I actually connecting to the proper network, but the it's just mislabeled as _EXT? How do I rename my connection so that it doens't have the _EXT?

When you're connected via ethernet, its windows that sets the active network profile. You can change it in the registry if it bothers you. 

How to Change or Rename the Active Network Profile Name in Windows 10 (howtogeek.com)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@scurry126 wrote:

When you're connected via ethernet, its windows that sets the active network profile. You can change it in the registry if it bothers you. 

How to Change or Rename the Active Network Profile Name in Windows 10 (howtogeek.com)

Message 2 of 3
scurry126
Aspirant

Thank you! Figured it was just a registry issue. Appreciate the help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7