× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Repeater Extender set up?

rschap1
Star

Repeater Extender set up?

Not necessarily a strictly Netgear question, but I could use some good advice and help here...

I have very minimal networking knowledge, but would like to add a couple repeater/extenders to my wifi.

I have a Net Gear AC1750 router.

I bought a couple cheaper extenders a year or so ago but don't think I ever got them set up properly.

I tried again last weekend, but still didn't seem correct.

A LOT of what I saw for online help was old and referenced Windows 7.

Saw some things saying best to use same brand stuff.

Thought about that if helped and made things easier to set up.

I previously read that  if you know what you are doing, you can even use an old router as a repeater. I do have a few of those too.

BUT...

I get about as far as accessing IP addresses then in Windows 10 Network and sharing section, get asked for DNS info which leaves me lost.

Most online help said, "just leave DNS as is".

But the settings look like they need something I don't know about.

Appreciate it if anyone has advice, help, link to help that someone without experience like me could understand possibly....

Not opposed to purchasing some new pieces if the set up is easier and function better than the bargain basement parts I have been trying unsuccesfully. Just as long as reasonably priced, not looking to get into hundreds of dollars.

Thanks in advance, APPRECIATE it ! ! !

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 23
plemans
Guru

what extenders did you buy that you're trying to connect? 

I'm not a huge fan of using multiple extenders. In my experience, if you need more than 1 extender to cover your home, its better to move to a triband mesh system like orbi or similar. 

Reason why is standard extenders by their very nature, drop speeds 50%. Plus if you're daisy chainging them (connect an extender to an extender) that 2nd device will only be at 25% performance. And thats based on optimal conditions. If they're far away, have obstructions, or even interference, their speeds will be even worse. 

Most extenders shoudn't need any messing with dns. its should be simply run them through the setup process they have. And if you connect more than 1, shut off the ones already setup when installing the new one. 

Message 2 of 23
rschap1
Star

Attached a image of the repeater I have been trying to use.

Don't know if it even has an actual brand name.

I see them advertised with MANY.

Not looking to "chain" them.

Was hoping to have a little better coverage in two different directions.

I have added more devices in other areas around my home and yard.

They all connect, but seem to suffer as more phones enter the proximity.

THANKS very much

Message 3 of 23
plemans
Guru

Can't tell much from the picture but if its only a single band extender, that could be your problem. 

2.4ghz is more sensitve to interference plus its significantly slower than 5ghz. the more devices that are using 2.4ghz the more issues you'll have. Its the reason for the addition of the 5ghz band. 

Message 4 of 23
rschap1
Star

It was cheap and I think at least 3 or 4 years old now.

I doubt it has many features.

Originally I got it hoping to get better signal to my home entertainment set up that I have in my shed, it gets internet and apps, but takes a REAL long time to do anything.

Now in my living room I have smart TV, soundbar, multiple laptops, family's phones, and further out security cameras that use the wi fi.

When everything happens at the same time, the TV's apps start buffering and I have gotten a couple messages that the camera looses connection during "busy" times.

With winter weather coming the set up in the shed is going to get put away and not used until next spring so not an immediate concern.

But would like to do something if I could to keep TV and security cameras running better.

When I got the new router a while ago, everything improved greatly from what I was used to.

If there was something that hooked to that router simply and efficiently (without breaking the bank) I would like that.

Is there a netgear product that sounds like it might help?

Or are most something similar to the one that I already have?

THANSK again !!

Message 5 of 23
plemans
Guru

You're caught in a catch-22. 

You want to keep it cheap but you want top of the line performance. They don't go together sadly. Especially when you're streaming, having a bunch of devices, and security cameras. 

it all uses bandwidth. And 2.4ghz doesn't have much. 

there are cheap dual band extenders but again, the cheap ones aren't going to have great performance and they don't function well when you need multiples of them. 

Even the expensive extenders (tribands) tend to start running into issues when your needing more than 1. 

Its why we/I recommend mesh setups like orbi when you have a lot of area to cover and a bunch of devices/streaming. It needs stable/high speed connections for it to function properly. 

instead of buying a bunch of cheap/poor performing extenders, I'd save up and watch amazon for a renewed RBK43 system. they've been going on sale over the last couple months for pretty cheap (200-250 versus new the system is around 400). they'd work much better and would just work. Plus you'd have seamless roaming between everything. the router and the satellites all use the same ssid and use bandsteering to move devices between 2.4ghz and 5ghz based on bandwidth/distance. 

You could put the C6300 into bridge/modem only mode and connect the orbi setup to it. 

Or you can try buying a couple dual band extenders and see how it goes. Problem is the cheap ones are still going to be $40-50 a piece. By the time you get 2 cheap dual band extenders you're pushing $100+ for not so great of extenders that you're going to have multiple SSID's (wireless names) without seamless roaming. 

Up to you which route you go. 

Message 6 of 23
rschap1
Star

Thats a LOT more than I knew before.

Finding out how much I do not know.

Did not realize that there was that much of a difference between setting up extenders and what you mention as a mesh system.

Didn't realize the different bandwidths were as you described either.

Thought it was like two different frequencies for radio stations, not speed or capacity.

VERY much appreciate the info.

Know a little more now to dig deeper.

THANKS !!!

Message 7 of 23
rschap1
Star

I have done a little looking and shopping for mesh set ups since that sounds better.

Most of what I see nears $300, like the Orbi.

See a few things labeled as Nighthawk also.

Wondering if someone more experienced and smarter than myself has already looked into this and might be a help?

Are there units that will work with my existing Nighthawk AC1750 router that I can set up to extend and improve my wifi?

Or is it better and cheaper in the long run to replace the router with an entirely different new mesh system?

THANKS once more:)

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 8 of 23
plemans
Guru

You can try using an extender. There are triband mesh extenders that do function. they work very well if you only have one of them. If you're needing more than 1, then its better to go full mesh. 

If you are interested in orbi, like I said, watch the RBK43 system on amazon. You can frequently find it renewed for around that 200-250. 

Message 9 of 23
rschap1
Star

I will ask an elementary question as I am just starting to learn a little about this stuff...

Does a router like mine just function as a transmitter, while all the parts in a mesh system both recieve and transmit?

And a mesh must have some manner in which to decide which "unit" has best signal or connection.

And a repeater / extender is simplier in that it just takes in what the router outputs, and sends it out on it's own; reverses for upload...

Any of that correct?

And my current router is not capable of functioning in a mesh system, no other satelite units compatible, correct also?

Another BIG thank you !!

Message 10 of 23
plemans
Guru

Routers both send and receive. 

What sets a mesh system apart from a standard router and extender setup is it has a primary router that controls the system. This prevents extenders from connecting to each other, it helps load balance between the bands, and allows it to use both a wired and wireless backhaul (connection between router---satellites).  There's dual band mesh systems and triband. I highly recommend the tribands for mesh because if you're using wireless for backhaul, it reserves 1 of the 5ghz bands just for the router---extender communication. makes them much faster. 

Message 11 of 23
rschap1
Star

Thanks again

Little at a time I am figuring bits and pieces out.

Appreciate the education

🙂

Message 12 of 23
rschap1
Star

Well, I received this latest promotional email this morning with a couple interesting pieces advertised and on sale.

Still haven't learned enough to make a purchase on my own confidently:(

I see each of these and wonder if either would do what I am hoping to do?

Both are labeled as mesh"

AC2200 WITH PATENTED FASTLANE3 TECHNOLOGY Nighthawk X4S Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender@ $169.99

and 

NIGHTHAWK® MESH WIFI 6 SYSTEM (MK62)@ $189.99 

I see the MK62 is another actual router and would replace what I have now along with a satelite and able to buy/add more satelites.

Only issue I see is that the router doesn't show 5-6 ethernet ports that I currently use on my existing router for a bunch of wired connections.

I do have another multi port switch (I believe that is correct term, like a "manifold" for plugging in multiple units to one wall port).

The X4s looks like an easy option, just not sure why only $20 cheaper than a whole actual mesh system. And I am assuming that this would have to be the one and only satelite (sorry if not correct term) extender/repeater. I would use my existing router, keep the wired stuff, and only have to hope that the one extender got the job done. I am most curious how this gets labeled as "mesh" if what I mention is true?

Wondering if I am even correct in my elementary thinking of this stuff to this point.

Once again VERY much appreciate any knowledge that might help me from buying stuff that I don't need, won't help, or won't work at all for me.

THANKS

Message 13 of 23
plemans
Guru

I'll just say I'm not a fan of dual band mesh systems unless they're using a wired backhaul. 

the whole purpose of mesh systems is a wired/wireless backhaul to prevent increased latency and decreased speeds. The daul band mesh systems don't have the same speed/latency benefits as the triband or hardwired in mesh systems. But they do work. 

Message 14 of 23
rschap1
Star

Not going to pretend like I know exactly what that all means, but I will take away that I will be looking for triband rather than dual set up.

Must be why some of the dual stuff is cheaper than what I expected.

Message 15 of 23
plemans
Guru

Mesh systems function best with a dedicated backhaul. A backhaul is the connection between the router and satellites. 

You can either use a wireless backhaul or a wired backhaul. Either works (wired is faster). 

The tribands have a dedicated 5ghz chip that is dedicated for that. The user can't connect to it or connect devices to it. Its only for router---satellite communication. 

The dual band systems don't have that wireless backhaul. They can use a wired backhaul but many don't have that option. If you don't, then I'd avoid the dual band systems. If you do, then its a pretty reasonable option. 

Message 16 of 23
rschap1
Star

Looks like I can narrow my searching a little more. Tri band with wireless capability.

The locations I am looking at do not lend to running a wire between.

BIG THANKS 

Message 17 of 23
rschap1
Star

Curious if this is a good deal I am seeing now, or outdated and better to get newer (more expensive technology-system)

NETGEAR RBK43 Orbi Whole Home Mesh AC2200 WiFi System with Tri-band - 3 Pack

$199.99
I see it is $150 cheaper than buying brand new.
Also see WAY better speed ratings on newer FAR more pricey systems, but wonder if I need the newest, biggest, best, and costliest; or would I even realize any difference with my service and devices???

THANKS again
Message 18 of 23
plemans
Guru

Its a pretty solid system. I've used it quite a bit. I'd choose it over any of the dual band mesh AX systems. 

Its only when you get to the triband mesh systems that you start seeing benefits versus the RBK43 system. 

Message 19 of 23
rschap1
Star

The RBK43 is tri-band, correct?

I see it described as one.

Anyone know if there is any difference between RBK43 and RBK43 S  ?

Thanks once again !!

Message 20 of 23
plemans
Guru

The RBK43 is triband. It uses a dedicated 866mbps backhaul for the link from satellites to router. 

The S system models includes a 1 year armor subscription. Not sure if that is still applicable with refurbed units though. 

Message 21 of 23
rschap1
Star

Thanks very much !!!

Appreciate the help, info, and advice

🙂

Message 22 of 23
rschap1
Star

I ended up getting an Orbi set up.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/netgear-rbk43-ac2200-orbi-mesh-wifi-7

Family is much happier.

Works LOTS better.

With weather getting better, we spend more time out and about the yard.

Thinking I want to possibly add another satelite.

Not totally sure if it is even needed as I have the router and one satelite in the house, and the third in the garage spreading things out.

The far end of my yard has a shed and I usually add a smart home entertainment set up hooked to wfi in there.

I see a Nighthawk AC2200 plug in extender

https://computers.woot.com/offers/netgear-nighthawk-ac2200-plug-in-wifi-range-extender-12?ref=w_cnt_...

Wondered if compatible, or will only Orbi stuff work with my new system?

Or is it difficult to add?

It was nice being able to set up the Orbi as quick and easy as it was.

THANKS again !!!

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7