× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Repeater WN2000RPT - inital setup freeze

PianoPiano
Aspirant

Repeater WN2000RPT - inital setup freeze

I am trying to use the wizard (actually I don’t seem to have a choice but to use the wizard) on the Universal WN2000RPT Repeater to set it up for the first time. I tried using 2 different PCs (Windows 7 and a Vista OS). The wizard starts automatically. The signal strength is excellent ie green light and 82%. My router is a D-Link GSL-G624T using first WEP 64 bit encryption, then I changed it to WPA2 (having realised how rubbish WEP is whilst looking for a fix (!), and on finding someone reporting that my problem could be fixed this way). The Repeater finds the router (SSID) and then asks for the encryption key. I select 64 bit and enter the key in the first of the 4 boxes below the passphrase box (ie like shown in my network properties) and select ‘Continue’ - the ‘Continue’ button turns blue but nothing at all happens. I have tried entering the key in the passphrase box as well, I tried using both mywifiext.com and .net, I tried hitting ‘Enter’ after selecting the ‘Continue’ box with the mouse (another www. suggestion) but nothing changes. I tried changing WEP from ‘both’ to ‘open’ authentication - nothing.

The same thing happens with the router using WPA 2-PSK (set to AES), I entered the passphrase hit enter and nothing. I have found just a few similar complaints on the internet: one suggested using firefox for the set-up process but I don't want to change my browser just for this and I am not an expert and am scared I might mess up changing the browser in some way. Tried posting a question on the NetGear support page but there are ‘technical problems’ preventing them giving me a ticket (maybe their computers don’t work on Sundays!). I do hope someone can shed some light on this. Thank you.
Message 1 of 3
bastialex0825
Novice

Re: Repeater WN2000RPT - inital setup freeze

As suggested, you can use another browser(firefox,chrome,safari) or lower version of IE just for the initial set up or you can hard reset the extender then set it up again.
Message 2 of 3
PianoPiano
Aspirant

Re: Repeater WN2000RPT - inital setup freeze

As I said this stuff is daunting to me - the thought of changing my browser is horrible and let's face it I shouldn't have to: the product says Universal, it is new, and the OS and IE are of the same era. HOWEVER, as I was ploughing my way through the hundreds of posts on this Forum with WN2000RPT in the text I found a post about hanging wireless connections that said it worked by manually entering the SSID: it worked! Hurrah - about 8 hours work but at least I stopped using WEP on my router and have learned a lot of 'stuff'.

Hopefully the next person will find their solution more easily with my Thread Title .

Thanks bastialex0825.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7