× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replace WP2500RP. EAX80 vs EX7700 or Other

mogulman52xx
Aspirant

Replace WP2500RP. EAX80 vs EX7700 or Other

Setup

2 story, 3700sq ft house + backyard.

2 - Netgear WN2500RP extenders (2016)
New Frontier Arris NVG468MQ Router located in corner of 2nd story

I'm looking to replace both extenders.  I am looking to go mesh.  I was looking at either the
1. AX6000 WiFi Mesh Extender (EAX80) Dual band wifi 6 or
2. AC2200 WiFi Mesh Extender (EX7700) Tri band wifi 5.

Both are essentially the same cost.  I like the idea of tri-band.  Not sure of the benefits of wifi 6.  I couldn't find a tri-band wifi 6 at a reasonable price.

Comments?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Replace WP2500RP. EAX80 vs EX7700 or Other

If you're needing 2, i'd go with a mesh system and not just extenders. You don't have to replace the arris box.  You can connect an orbi/mk system to it and either put the netgears IP address into the arris's dmz or the netgear in access point mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you're only needing one extender, either option would work. 
If you're needing more than 1, I'd recommend looking at a mesh system and not just extender. Like the Orbi system or MK nighthawk. 

Message 2 of 4
mogulman52xx
Aspirant

Thanks for reply.  I need 2 extenders (upstairs and downstairs).  I can't replace the router.  It needs to be Frontier for the STB to work.  I currently have no devices that support wifi 6 although I am looking at a TV that supports wifi 6.  Based on this what is your recommendation. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you're needing 2, i'd go with a mesh system and not just extenders. You don't have to replace the arris box.  You can connect an orbi/mk system to it and either put the netgears IP address into the arris's dmz or the netgear in access point mode. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7