× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router and Satellite connection issues

Pirouette2020
Aspirant

Router and Satellite connection issues

Product is useless. Connection fails over and over every day. Forum has been absolutely no help.

Simply don't understand how two products from the same manufacturer and same product "family" cant simply connect and stay connected. Infuriating!

Satellite is 18 steps away from the router which is in a room with the door open, signal when connected is "weak".

They constantly lose connection. I can't walk 40' from the router without losing connection to it.

Anyone have a true solution?

Best regards,

Don

correction model is RBK50 and Satelite that came with it as a pair.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Router and Satellite connection issues

What firmware is on the router? 

What firmware is on the satellite? 

What modem are they connecting to? 

30ft minimum is recommended between satellite and router.

What is your home made of? Certain materials block wifi such as concrete, brick, plaster lathe, adobe, foil lined insulation, or even hvac in the walls cal block the signal. 

you put "connection fails over and over". This doesn't tell us much. Is it saying "connected, no internet" , does the wireless stop broadcasting, is the wireless backhaul failing, do devices simply disconnect?  Do wired devices drop? Are you able to connect a wired device to the satellites and have it stay running (tests the backhaul). 

Describe the problem in details, whats been tried, and everything going on. We're not there to see whats going on so its tough for us. the more you tell us, the better we can help. 

Message 2 of 7
Pirouette2020
Aspirant

Not to sound like the back end of a mule here... and meaning no disrespect...

But those are the same things you've asked everyone, and there's a lot of us, who have this issue.

None of it is relevant.

Issue: Satellite does not stay connect to the Orbi router. Firmware independant, clearly as discussion after discussion on the forum has shown.

Nowhere have I see someone say "Terriffic!! Great that worked. Thank you so much!".

So I've spent hours and hours and hours on this.

Flippin satellite won't stay connected to the router.

🙂 Can you tell my frustration level is extremely high?

BEst reagards, and thanks- seriously.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Pirouette2020 wrote:

Not to sound like the back end of a mule here... and meaning no disrespect...

But those are the same things you've asked everyone, and there's a lot of us, who have this issue.

None of it is relevant.

Issue: Satellite does not stay connect to the Orbi router. Firmware independant, clearly as discussion after discussion on the forum has shown.

Nowhere have I see someone say "Terriffic!! Great that worked. Thank you so much!".

So I've spent hours and hours and hours on this.

Flippin satellite won't stay connected to the router.

🙂 Can you tell my frustration level is extremely high?

BEst reagards, and thanks- seriously.

And I'm not trying to be disrespectful but none of what you just said helped. It didn't answer the questions. it didn't add any info to the problem. it didn't say what you've tried. Saying you've tried for hours doesn't tell us what you've tried. 

We're here trying to help others and some basic info is needed. There's no "magic fix" button. 

And the reason you see issues on the forums is because its where people come with issues who are out of their support window. compare it to a hospital. You'd think everyone was sick if you looked at a hospital. Because thats where people who are sick go. 

And yes, I can tell your frustration is high. But we can't help without details because we aren't there in person. And we're not paid to do this. We're simply members of the public trying to help you out for free. So I get your frustrated but bear with us. Taking it out on the people trying to help you is simply going to get us to ignore your post. 

Message 4 of 7
Pirouette2020
Aspirant

Ah crap. Apologies. I thought you might have been from Netgear.

Look, has anything worked for anyone?

I should be able to take these two things out of the box, plug them in, push sync and forget about them for months and months.

Netgear has been doing this for over 20years. So have I.

I've reset to factory, I've updated firmware, rolled back firmware... I mean honestly. What is there for me to do?

Box A talk to Box B. Nope!

Read every post on the forum going back for over six months... same questions, same responses. Tried EVERY one of them.

This firmware, no that firmware.

Too close together, no too far apart.

Same result as others... not fixed.

There really is not much for an end-user to do here.

And the defunct Fry's Electronics won't take the product back. So I'm out $600+ (also bought the Outdoor Satellite).

Can you kindly tell me or show me on the forum one (1) example where the issue was solved for someone?

Maybe I missed that solution.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Don

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Pirouette2020 wrote:

Ah crap. Apologies. I thought you might have been from Netgear.

Look, has anything worked for anyone?-----Yes, it has. Or there wouldn't be an "accepted solution" option. 

I should be able to take these two things out of the box, plug them in, push sync and forget about them for months and months.----Ideally, you should. But every home is different. Any everyone has different gateways/setups. Some require more work and messing with. You wouldn't believe how much trouble it is with ISP's like att or verizon to get things working sometime. 

Netgear has been doing this for over 20years. So have I.

I've reset to factory, I've updated firmware, rolled back firmware... I mean honestly. What is there for me to do?-----Actually go over it with us? 

Box A talk to Box B. Nope!

Read every post on the forum going back for over six months... same questions, same responses. Tried EVERY one of them.

This firmware, no that firmware.

Too close together, no too far apart.

Same result as others... not fixed.

There really is not much for an end-user to do here.

And the defunct Fry's Electronics won't take the product back. So I'm out $600+ (also bought the Outdoor Satellite).

Can you kindly tell me or show me on the forum one (1) example where the issue was solved for someone?-----go look in the accepted solution setup. we get plenty where issues are fixed. 

Maybe I missed that solution.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Don

Don,

You tried moving closer and further apart. good. Tried enabling/disabling beamforming, mu-mimo, fast roaming? 

Still need some key data though.

Router firmware:

Satellite firmware for each:

Modem/gateway you're connected to:

What is the interior walls of your home made of? 

And the exterior if you're using the outdoor satellite?

have you contacted support? you have 90 days of free support from date of purchase (if it was new)

And you never know, maybe you do have a bad router if none of the satellites will stay functioning. If it is bad, netgear has a 1 year warranty on new devices and in some regions a 2 year warranty. 

And again, I know your frustrated. I would be as well. I can vouch for the system working. I've got the RBR40, RBR50, RBS50x2, RBS50Y, RBS40V, RBS40, RBW30.  And I've mixed and matched them playing around in my home. And they've all worked. There was a version or 2 of firmware that was horrible but its been pretty solid lately. 

The other thing that might help is to post this in the orbi forum. you posted in the extender forum. I'm decent with orbi but @FURRYe38 and @CrimpOn really know their stuff with Orbi. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Try posting to the orbi forum, listing the info, what you've tried doing, and they might have some ideas for you. But again, include the details. The more you tell us about your setup, the better we can help. And again, we're more than willing to help but cut us a little slack. We're not netgear. Just regular people trying to help out. 

Message 6 of 7
bballstar85
Aspirant

Have the mesh WiFi 6 system model AX1800
The satellite will not stay connected. I have tried to sync it , reset it, have unplugged it , it is just in a room directly next to room router is in, thin wall of paneling separates them, it worked fine for 6 weeks , we bought it as we didnt have connection on our back deck.. but now no matter what it will not connect.. spent good money for this to be junk
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7