× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SSID ADDRESS ON EXTENDER AND ROUTER A GOOD IDEA OR NOT?

kerjak
Aspirant

SSID ADDRESS ON EXTENDER AND ROUTER A GOOD IDEA OR NOT?

Hi, hope someone can offer some advice on this please?

Purchased above extender to connect to Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router, which it has done.  I thought, possibly stupidly, my devices would automatically connect to strongest signal i.e. if downstairs to the router and if upstairs to the extender.

They don't, I have to switch between them on mobile devices.

I have done a bit of "goggling" and router and extender have different SSID addresses(they are both dual band btw).

If I make the SSID addresses the same i.e. call the extender addresses the same as router adresses, will my devices just automatically connect to strongest signal without me having to do it manually on device?

I am in no way an expert on these thing and would appreciate any advice given.

Thanks,

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Re: SSID ADDRESS ON EXTENDER AND ROUTER A GOOD IDEA OR NOT?

Make the SSID addresses the same will provide a valuable clue to devices that the extender and router are part of the same network.  But you may find that many devices will not switch to a stronger signal when roaming about the house.  It is up to the devices to decide when to switch, and many devices will not even bother looking for a stronger signal until the current signal degrades beyond a certain threshold.  Apple devices behave this way, for example.

Message 2 of 6
kerjak
Aspirant

Hi Ether,

Thanks for response.

Could you explain how I actually do this?  I have Netgear Genie installed on PC.

Also, I believe I can make extender into an AP as I have ethernet available at top of house,

Would this be better than above solution?

Thanks,

kerjak.

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Running an extender as an AP is always the preferred solution.  I believe the EX6150 has a switch to enable AP mode, so make sure to slide it into the correct position.  Log into the extender at mywifiext.net and proceed to change the SSID to match your router's SSID.

Message 4 of 6
kerjak
Aspirant

Hi Ether,

Thanks again.  

I have set up extender as AP and connected.  I am unable though to get into the settings of extender via genie to change SSID's.  I can get into settings of main router via genie by logging in as "At home", username is admin and Password is password.  It won't let me login to extender/AP using these details and I'm 100% positive I have not changed these.

I have created a login to mynetgear.com but that doesn't seem to let me alter any router/extender settings on there.

I'm assuming because SSID's are still different I will see router and extender/AP as different networks on genie?

Thanks,

kerjak.

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

I don't use Genie, but I suspect that it's not capable of managing extenders.  You should be able to log into the extender using its IP address.  Alternatively, join the extender's Wi-Fi network and point a browser at mywifiext.net.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7