× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Scammed by tech assist

RPAlb
Follower

Scammed by tech assist

Bought new router and extender wouldn’t work. Started chat with Netgear customer assist and was told that I would get a call. Call came from Techsist Web Solutions who informed me that I had to buy a $300 network firewall from then to get assistance. Very high pressure sales pitch.
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Highly doubt you talked to netgear. 

they won't sell you any firewalls.

And if you're device is new and within its first 90 days of purchase (on new devices), support is free. 

what happens is many times people google for netgear supports number and get con sites. 

To contact netgear, click on "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. From there you can contact support. 

If you did give the scam option any info (CC numbers, etc), I'd cancel those card. 

You also have the option of getting help here. We're willing to help out and its free on the community forum.

We'd just need more info like what router/extender you bought. how you were trying setup, where it was failing. 

Message 2 of 14
Kayda1976
Tutor

I also was contacted by techsist. My appliance would not connect I used the chat support function and was sent to a level one who called to assist. I was informed there was roughly 30 foreign IP’s on my network, ISP centurylink. I was told that I should set up a virtual firewall. I was done referred to techsist who I gave remote access through logmein. They installed Microsoft anti-hacking software and connected my nighthawk extender. I purchased a year of service and apparently they have a NOC That would alert me if there’s any potential threat. I don’t feel like I was scammed. Because I wouldn’t have known how to do this myself. Is there something that I missing here?
Message 3 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@Kayda1976 wrote:
My appliance would not connect I used the chat support function and was sent to a level one who called to assist.

Netgear's support does always start on https://my.netgear.com/ resp. https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx - and not on your favorite search engine.

@Kayda1976 wrote:
I was informed there was roughly 30 foreign IP’s on my network, ISP centurylink. I was told that I should set up a virtual firewall. I was done referred to techsist who I gave remote access through logmein. They installed Microsoft anti-hacking software and connected my nighthawk extender. I purchased a year of service and apparently they have a NOC That would alert me if there’s any potential threat. I don’t feel like I was scammed. Because I wouldn’t have known how to do this myself. Is there something that I missing here?

@Kayda1976 what a B.S. story - all fake, problems and software which does not exist.

A NOC ... yes, many. Thier only job is to scam inoccent users like you.

Whatever lies, tales and stories the scammers tell you, whatever useless commands and clicks they do just to fake the average computer user to proof they do something meaningful - just to hold you up for a longer time and look impressive.

Talk to your credit card issuer fraud desk about the scam and request your money back right now.

Never, absolutley NEVER do an Internet search e.g. for Netgear or HP or Asus or Dell or ....anyotherbrandhere....

=== text borrowed from @slompochomp in the community, slightly updated ===

I find it amazing that people still fall for this scam tactic considering this tactic has been going on for almost 20 years now.

Always use the official web site - phone numbers are often not available anymore these days - from the manufactures website not from a search engine.

Never let someone remote into your computer unless you 100% trust that person (but lets be honest, no one is 100% trust worthy when it comes to your personal details and financial data) or your running a VM with no personal data on that machine.

If this information is new to you; Welcome to the internet.

Here is a website another community member dug up some time ago about tech support scams.

=== text borrowed end ===

Count me in to the amazed people, too. Read, learn, and never do this mistake again.

Message 4 of 14
Kayda1976
Tutor

Appreciate the note. I figured out I was scammed shortly after posting my original message. And followed with both exactly what happened and how I remediated the issue. Do you know what they’re trying to accomplish exactly? Are they installing logging software, malware, ransonware etc? Or is this just a take the money and run scheme?
Message 5 of 14

I called the number on the Netgear pamphlet and got TechSist Web Solutions and told me the extender may have had other firmware that needed to be formated or removed and that in order for me to do that I needed their firmware for th same price. I fell for it becaue I needed it. I am still waiting for them to call me back for a refund. I dont feel hopeful.

Message 6 of 14

I had my pc crash on me, later on I found out how to access my extender and found out I never needed the firmware. I called them early today and they said I get a call back from them next tuesday.

Message 7 of 14
JBBBBFL
Tutor

I called in to Netgear to get help with my extender. It was Netgears support number.

I have been Scammed out of $599.99 by Techsist Web Solutions. Here is the complaint filed. 

I am going to update it to include Netgear. 

I trashed all net gear equipment and I suggest you do not buy their products.

Here is the complaint filed with the BBB

2nd Request

I have reported you all to the BBB

I have filed a report with the FTC Report Number 137275406

To:       Techsist Web Solutions

910 La Garganta

San Antonio, Tx 78258

Subj:     Refund of the $599.99 charged to my Capital One Credit Card on 4/30/2021 back to my credit card

First, the reason this request was not sent right after receiving the Invoice is that I went through Capital One to get the charge reversed which they did but then later it was charged it back to my account. The CC company kept wanting more details all that it has done is delay my refund.

I called in on April 30 to get help with my router extender. The tech said he needed access to my computer to check out the problem. After a couple of searches, he immediately started a high-pressure sales approach for your Techsist Lifetime Security Software.

It sounded halfway interesting and so I wanted more information about the software, but he said I needed to sign some documents to get that info. The more I heard about the software the more it sounded like a Scam. I disconnected my computer before your tech could install the Techsist Security Software on my computer. I later verified that numerous complaints had been filed against Techsist with the Better Business Bureau with whom I will file a complaint.

You all billed me even though you had not installed the software. Your Invoice #21684265 stated the following services had been done which in fact they had not been done because I disconnected my computer.

1. Develop Security Policy
  2. All the software issues are being solved
  3. Secure your Network
  4. Encrypted Session is established
  5. Map the Network
  6. Profile the Devices on The Network
  7. Safe Connection Oriented Transport Layer 8. Secure Shell

I called Dell Technical Support and had them verify that the software had not been installed on my computer. They confirmed it had not been installed.

Therefore, since I never received your product, which you can verify in your system, that my computer was never hooked up to your system and never received any security updates. I do not want your product, so I hereby require you to credit my  Capital One credit card account for the $599.99

If you do not refund the charges within 15 days, I will take you to small claims court. I am an ex-CPA so I have been to small claims court before and I have never lost a case. Don’t send me a bunch of excuses or requests for delays which you tend to do according to the Better Business Bureau complaints.

Message 8 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@JBBBBFL Anything you "proof" here does very likely not apply to Netgear. Wherever you called, whatever number you queried from the Internet. You had been Scammed by the Spam and Scam Mafia. Very, VERY unlikely Netgear. You are abusing Netgea'rs name the very same way the Scammers do my friend.

Message 9 of 14
allysonwndrlnd
Initiate

This happened to me last night! Router is going back to Amazon today. Three hours on the phone and they couldn't connect me.  Then try to sell me this firewall. INSANE! So glad I didn't give him my card info. Net gear needs to do something about this!

Message 10 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@allysonwndrlnd Here again: Netgear tech support does start on https://my.Netgear.com/ and NEVER EVER on any Search engine .Netgear Support does NOT do any scam, sell you a useless firewall or security  package.

Call your Credit Care issues and revoke the payment. You have not talked to Netgear!

Message 11 of 14
JBBBBFL
Tutor

Scammed by tech assist

I was scammed by Tech Assist a year ago. I tried to cancel that same day after I researched them. No refund even though I tried several times. My CC company would not charge back the money because Tech Assist said I received services that I did not. I never downloaded their product.

Message 12 of 14
allysonwndrlnd
Initiate

Fortunately I never gave them the card info. I shipped the router back to amazon and bought a linksys. Sorry Netgear. Maybe include an instruction book with the number I need to call for tech support. It said scan the qr code that wasn't on the box , on the router or on the card! 

Message 13 of 14
Cd113302
Initiate

This happened to me as well. I thought I was talking to Netgear. They also told me I had numerous Foreign
IP address that was blocking my wi
fi extender from connecting. He did get my extender set up but down loaded Anti virus software and a 3 year support contract. After all is done felt uncomfortable with this experience so notified my cc company and others for a fraud alert.i

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7