× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

School project- convert to battery

guardmy6
Aspirant

School project- convert to battery

I am working on a project for school and I want to convert my wifi extender that I plug into the wall to a portable battery powered device. I can not find anything on the subject. I can not even find the exact power requirements for the Netgear WN3000RPv3. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
VE6CGX
Master

Re: School project- convert to battery

Then open the unit find the point where 120V AC is converted to DC voltage.

One is pos(+) , the other one is neg.(-) If possible getting a copy of schematic

is best but if it is not possible, you can draw out schematics reading the PCB

traces and silk screen. Most likely it is 12V DC.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

What kind of school project is this?  Since the WN3000RPv2 has a built-in AC plug, you would need to physically open the extender and measure the DC output of the AC to DC rectifier.  Unless you know what you are doing, you could easily shock yourself or worse.

Message 2 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

OP, can you read schematics? Can you use basic tools like multi-meter? Knows the difference between digital vs. analog multi-meter? Want to make the unit runs on battery only? How long the battery should last? No provision for charging battery? Battery to be built-in the unit or can it be outboard battery pack? All sorts of question B4 tackling the project. 

I am thinking drill small holes in the unit's case  run two wires tapped off DC source + and - terminal point out of the box,  then attach reverse polarity diode and current limiting resistor after some simple calculation. Now you have outboard rechargeable battery pack. It'll run on battery.

To recharge the battery pack just plug it in. As you start building it, make revisions. Lithium battery is good choice. Just a crude idea.

Message 3 of 6
guardmy6
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply,

I can and have opened it up. My goal is to extend wifi in a field where my other team/classmates will control a robot by remote. I only need it to work about an hour and I can use an external battery. I was hoping to use a usb battery to power the device.Part of the rules are that we have to use what we have. In other words I can't go buy a battery powered extender. would it help if I send pictures of the two boards inside?

Message 4 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

Then open the unit find the point where 120V AC is converted to DC voltage.

One is pos(+) , the other one is neg.(-) If possible getting a copy of schematic

is best but if it is not possible, you can draw out schematics reading the PCB

traces and silk screen. Most likely it is 12V DC.

Message 5 of 6
guardmy6
Aspirant

Thank you for the help. Sorry for the long delay in answering. I was able to remove the board that converted the power. I found where the boards were connected by 6 pens. I used Alligator clips to connect a USB cable to the different pens untill I had power and a wifi signal. I was able to power the device with a USB cable in a USB battery that I often charge my phone with. It worked great..
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7