× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Second Netgear Wi-Fi Mesh Range Extender EX8000 or NETGEAR AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0 Adapter

sjuannavarro
Follower

Second Netgear Wi-Fi Mesh Range Extender EX8000 or NETGEAR AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0 Adapter

On the second floor of my home last year, I installed a Netgear Wi-Fi Mesh Range Extender EX8000, which boosted the wifi signal and network stability. The first floor is where the router and fiber modem are located. The studio, which is on the opposite side of the second floor and about 80 feet from the extender, is where I do the majority of my work. Speed varies significantly. Would speed and stability be improved by adding a second Netgear Wi-Fi Mesh Range Extender EX8000 (they are very--suspiciously--inexpensive on ebay), or would it be better to upgrade my laptop (a 2022 LG Gram) to a NETGEAR AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0 Adapter?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Second Netgear Wi-Fi Mesh Range Extender EX8000 or NETGEAR AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0 Adapter

I usually don't recommend using more than 1 mesh extender as there isn't anything controlling them and they can end up connecting to each other. You can always do the same but set the 2nd one up using a different ssid. That can help combat the instability you see by using more than 1 extender. 

Or you could check into upgrading to an actual mesh system like orbi. I'd look at the tri-band versions with what you're doing and the size of your home. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7