× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Secure wifi on WNDR3400 v.2 Router but no security showing for extender.

hhh799
Aspirant

Secure wifi on WNDR3400 v.2 Router but no security showing for extender.

I've connected a wireless extender to my WNDR3400 v.2 router. The router has WPA-(SK)?security but  my phone shows  the extender ( "N1") has"none" i.e., no security. How do I set up security for the extender,( assuming I need i)?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
hhh799
Aspirant

Hi TheEther,
Aside...Not having used the forum before I inadvertantly sent a "reply" through regular email when you posted yesterday, so got a "mailer Daemon" so just included what I sent earlier and yesterday in this posting. Thanks again. 
    Well live and learn...I tried again to put some security on mi wifi extender after I ate dinner and spent a little time away from the issue and my sluggish computer. I did not reset and start from scratch but logged into Netgear through my NetgearGenie program which Id advise everyone with Netgear equipment to download (free) and reread online their PDF instructions for their Quick Start N300 WiFi Range Extender
Model WN3000RPv3
,.  Because I  didn't understand them then but already downloaded those instructions the day before  I was going to try again to [[[[[[create]]]]]] security for the extender by trial and correction
(the method I most often use for anything I don't really understand) because it was not really explained in the instructions. So, I pulled out my ethernet cable from the back of my computer and plugged it into the LAN ethernet port of my extender which of course meant I was no longer on the internet for other support or aide.I plugged the extender into an outlet near my computer and it's first two leds came on, the second one blinking. My Edge browser came on my PC by itself (which I generally never use because it uses the Bing search engine)  and instructions for my extender "N-300" ( which I thought was a no name generic despite the incomprehensible (with no  website referenced )  printed guide which came with it. So I found a Wizard to place Security WPA-2K  and my router's password on my extender. I was able to determine it was successful by using my cellphone and connecting with the hotspot Netgearxxx_ext that was amongst the other hotspots. It requested a password and my routers password which I placed\in the Wizard allowed me to connect to the extender for internet service.I now keep the extender in my living room which provides a "strong" signal compared to my router which provides a poor to "fair' signal.Last of all, you might recall from my former email/posting to you (see below) I said that I didn't expect my sluggish PC to get fixed, not through "restorations and un, un, un restorations in my experience".  Well low and behold out of the blue, my PC screen spontaneously and unsolicited presented a message to the effect that it would probably be improved by "undoing the restoration" and so with no further ado I turned my struggling PC off by holding/pressing the  "on" button in, (a "no,no"I also learned from my years of "Trial and correction, not 'error'"., and turned it on again, after which I performed an UN-RESTORATION if you know what I mean and didn't look back after it was successful, yes really successful like Geritol was suppsed to be for "tired blood" in those days when there weren't even any millenials with apps. or emojis to help the Old-timers.

Happy   Holidays

To: community@netgear.com
Sent: 12/17/2016 2:25:08 P.M. Atlantic Standard Time
Subj: Re: Secure wifi on WNDR3400 v.2 Router but no security showing for extender. ...

Thanks some more. I have to reflect awhile on what I  am doing and not doing because my concern is that I'm screwing up my computer. When I started out with one set of "connection"instructions I followed part of the display of a screenshot of  the extender  guide in German but captions in English.WOW. From that encounter I had my extendr wired with an Ethernet cable between my extender and PC and I was changing my TP/IP protocol. Now my PC seems to be crawling between page changes. A restore of the PC didn't help much because I opted for a more limited successful reversion  (several hours)with no risked or perceived "affected" changes over  a day's reversion in which so many items were to be removed that would have to be reinstalled...never in all my years of restorations. Fer-get about it! for now, I'm just going to pull the plug, literally, on the extender because whatever I want to use it for can wait until I work on (and mess up) several other projects. Thanks again..ya know ambiguous information/communication is in the mind of the receiver, never that of the giver. Resetting the extender may be necessary and workableas perhaps "do's" and "undo's" but  not restorations and un, un, un restorations in my experience. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a message dated 12/17/2016 1:06:08 P.M. Atlantic Standard Time, community@netgear.com writes:

Hi hhh799,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The extender broadcasts its own, separate Wi-Fi network.  Some extenders will automatically copy the password used by the main Wi-Fi network.  If yours did not do this, then you need to log into the extender and change the Wi-Fi password.

Message 2 of 5
hhh799
Aspirant

To: TheEther

Thanks for speedy reply. My cell doesn't ask for a password to get on my extender nor does my router so it comes to mind that perhaps it doesn't ask  me for a passwordbecause I'm recognized as part of my network. Then again it does show under "security"."none".  I tried logging on to the extender from my phone's Chrome browser as well as my desktop chrome browser but no matter whether using the IP address found for the extender on the phone or the domain names indicated in the Netgear article I read,( ex XXX_ext) I cou not manage to find or determine how to log in. Is it possible I could do so through the Netgear Genie and if so how...and if not, how else? I'm uncomfortable  keeping it (the extender) plugged even when not conversing over that "line" for fear of s/o else using the unsecured extender as their "hotspot".

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

I've never used the Netgear Genie app, so I can't help you with that.

The usual method to connect to a Netgear extender is to connect to its Wi-Fi network (i.e. XXXX_EXT) and open a browser to http://mywifiext.net.  The extender intercepts requests to that URL.  If you see the error, "YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED TO YOUR EXTENDER’S WIFI NETWORK. PLEASE CHECK YOUR CURRENT CONNECTION AND TRY AGAIN," then you are not connected to your extender.

If you are really unsure whether the extender's Wi-Fi network has a password, then you should reset it to factory settings and set it up from scratch.

Message 4 of 5
hhh799
Aspirant

Hi TheEther,
Aside...Not having used the forum before I inadvertantly sent a "reply" through regular email when you posted yesterday, so got a "mailer Daemon" so just included what I sent earlier and yesterday in this posting. Thanks again. 
    Well live and learn...I tried again to put some security on mi wifi extender after I ate dinner and spent a little time away from the issue and my sluggish computer. I did not reset and start from scratch but logged into Netgear through my NetgearGenie program which Id advise everyone with Netgear equipment to download (free) and reread online their PDF instructions for their Quick Start N300 WiFi Range Extender
Model WN3000RPv3
,.  Because I  didn't understand them then but already downloaded those instructions the day before  I was going to try again to [[[[[[create]]]]]] security for the extender by trial and correction
(the method I most often use for anything I don't really understand) because it was not really explained in the instructions. So, I pulled out my ethernet cable from the back of my computer and plugged it into the LAN ethernet port of my extender which of course meant I was no longer on the internet for other support or aide.I plugged the extender into an outlet near my computer and it's first two leds came on, the second one blinking. My Edge browser came on my PC by itself (which I generally never use because it uses the Bing search engine)  and instructions for my extender "N-300" ( which I thought was a no name generic despite the incomprehensible (with no  website referenced )  printed guide which came with it. So I found a Wizard to place Security WPA-2K  and my router's password on my extender. I was able to determine it was successful by using my cellphone and connecting with the hotspot Netgearxxx_ext that was amongst the other hotspots. It requested a password and my routers password which I placed\in the Wizard allowed me to connect to the extender for internet service.I now keep the extender in my living room which provides a "strong" signal compared to my router which provides a poor to "fair' signal.Last of all, you might recall from my former email/posting to you (see below) I said that I didn't expect my sluggish PC to get fixed, not through "restorations and un, un, un restorations in my experience".  Well low and behold out of the blue, my PC screen spontaneously and unsolicited presented a message to the effect that it would probably be improved by "undoing the restoration" and so with no further ado I turned my struggling PC off by holding/pressing the  "on" button in, (a "no,no"I also learned from my years of "Trial and correction, not 'error'"., and turned it on again, after which I performed an UN-RESTORATION if you know what I mean and didn't look back after it was successful, yes really successful like Geritol was suppsed to be for "tired blood" in those days when there weren't even any millenials with apps. or emojis to help the Old-timers.

Happy   Holidays

To: community@netgear.com
Sent: 12/17/2016 2:25:08 P.M. Atlantic Standard Time
Subj: Re: Secure wifi on WNDR3400 v.2 Router but no security showing for extender. ...

Thanks some more. I have to reflect awhile on what I  am doing and not doing because my concern is that I'm screwing up my computer. When I started out with one set of "connection"instructions I followed part of the display of a screenshot of  the extender  guide in German but captions in English.WOW. From that encounter I had my extendr wired with an Ethernet cable between my extender and PC and I was changing my TP/IP protocol. Now my PC seems to be crawling between page changes. A restore of the PC didn't help much because I opted for a more limited successful reversion  (several hours)with no risked or perceived "affected" changes over  a day's reversion in which so many items were to be removed that would have to be reinstalled...never in all my years of restorations. Fer-get about it! for now, I'm just going to pull the plug, literally, on the extender because whatever I want to use it for can wait until I work on (and mess up) several other projects. Thanks again..ya know ambiguous information/communication is in the mind of the receiver, never that of the giver. Resetting the extender may be necessary and workableas perhaps "do's" and "undo's" but  not restorations and un, un, un restorations in my experience. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a message dated 12/17/2016 1:06:08 P.M. Atlantic Standard Time, community@netgear.com writes:

Hi hhh799,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7