× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Set Nighthawk EAX80 extender as main router?

PharmlyDoc
Tutor

Set Nighthawk EAX80 extender as main router?

My CAX80 is bricked, so I purchased a Netgear CM700 cable modem to hold me over until I can get a replacement. In the meantime, I have an EAX80 extender I would like to use as my main router. Is this possible? I connected my EAX80 via ethernet cable to the CM700, then proceeded to make the EAX80 an access point, but it didn't work. 

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

No. it doesn't have a router mode. 

only extender or access point. 

Got an old router sitting around? 

Or any chance of reviving the CAX80?

Message 2 of 6
PharmlyDoc
Tutor

So does the EAX80 not having a router mode dependent on the hardware or is it a matter of firmware? I've tried reseting the CAX80 to no avail. I was out of town this past week, got back home last night and noticed my home WiFi network wasn't showing on my iPhone, looked at my CAX80 and all the lights were turned on, I unplugged the power adaptor for 30 seconds then replugged it, and only the power indicator lit back up. I then unplugged the power adapter again, pushed in the reset button with a paper clip, then replugged the power adapter with the reset button still pushed in for 30 seconds, and nothing changed. Hopefully Netgear won't drag their feet with sending me a replacement. 

Message 3 of 6
PharmlyDoc
Tutor

In the meantime I'm using my macbook pro as a Wifi hotspot. ...now isn't that ridiculous? 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

@PharmlyDoc wrote:

So does the EAX80 not having a router mode dependent on the hardware or is it a matter of firmware?----tough to say as most high performance extenders probably have the capability hardware wise. But they don't have a wan port or router mode to use it with. Because they're not designed that way. Even netgears routers used to be able to have an extender mode but they've been not building it into them anymore. Maybe its a product decision type thing from netgear. They don't talk about that. But the eax80 doesn't have a router mode so you can't use it as a router. 

I've tried reseting the CAX80 to no avail. I was out of town this past week, got back home last night and noticed my home WiFi network wasn't showing on my iPhone, looked at my CAX80 and all the lights were turned on, I unplugged the power adaptor for 30 seconds then replugged it, and only the power indicator lit back up. I then unplugged the power adapter again, pushed in the reset button with a paper clip, then replugged the power adapter with the reset button still pushed in for 30 seconds, and nothing changed. Hopefully Netgear won't drag their feet with sending me a replacement. 

when you reset, did you disconnect the coax from the cax80? so disconnect the coax, then power it on, push and hold reset for up to 30 seconds. Then power it off. Connect the coax back to it and power the CAX back on. One thing to keep in mind with the cax80 is that it'll go into a boot loop if it doesn't detect a connection from your isp to try to reconnect. So watch the led's on it and see if anything changes other than power led. did you get an rma from netgear already? how old is the CAX? 

Message 5 of 6
PharmlyDoc
Tutor

@plemans  I purchased the CAX80 in October 2021. I tried reseting with the coax cable plugged in and was still unsuccessful. Only the power indicator lights up. I even attempted to update the firmware using TFTP, and received a "Transfer timed out." message in the terminal app. https://kb.netgear.com/000064624/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-on-Apple-m... 

Yesterday I received a follow-up from Netgear on my case about my CAX80. They want additional details on solutions I've attempted thus far. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7