× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set up failure AC3000

RAR84
Aspirant

Set up failure AC3000

I received the new unit today. It would not set up via WPS so I tried using the mobile app. While downloading new firmware an error came up on the app that makes no sense: "you are connected to *my network name* go to settings>WiFi and connect to *my network name* then return to the app" since then all the unit does when powered on is flash the leds and the power light. Pressing the reset button for however long does nothing. The app can't access it. I don't know what to do, the manual is useless and there's no way to contact an actual support team. Any advice gratefully received.
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Set up failure AC3000

The EX8000 takes a while to boot. Be patient with it when it first starts up 🙂

Also, try hardwiring a pc/laptop into it for setup. Disable the wifi on the device you connect to it so it doesn't default back to wifi. 

Attempt setup using the pc/laptop using the installation assistant. It tends to go faster/smoother

I'd also recommend not updating via the app. Whenever we see corrupt firmware issues, it tends to be when done over the app or done over wifi. 

there's an install video using the installation assistant on the support site. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ex8000

Message 2 of 8
RAR84
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
Please can you help further: can you define how long I need to be patient for? 30 minutes seems too long to me.
The manual does not mention tethering to a PC so I will try that method, thank you.
The app gave me no choice on the firmware update and during that update and since the app comes up with the contradictory message I mentioned, Netgear should look in to that if the app is not a reliable way to update, perhaps they should add to their manual about pc tethering or have a prompt in the app?
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@RAR84 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
Please can you help further: can you define how long I need to be patient for? 30 minutes seems too long to me.---30 minutes is to long. Its usually a couple minutes. 
The manual does not mention tethering to a PC so I will try that method, thank you.---this method tends to work well. Its usually how I prefer to setup my device. 
The app gave me no choice on the firmware update and during that update and since the app comes up with the contradictory message I mentioned, Netgear should look in to that if the app is not a reliable way to update, perhaps they should add to their manual about pc tethering or have a prompt in the app?---I've recommended it before to netgear. Their default response is that the firmware isn't downloaded to the app or wireless device. Its downloaded to the memory on the router and then installed so it shoudn't be an app/wireless issue. Problem is, when we see corrupt firmware issues on the forum, it tends to be from those who did it wireless or through the app. 

Message 4 of 8
RAR84
Aspirant

Unfortunately none of this has worked at all.  The unit just flashes the front LEDs and the Power LED, pressing the WPS button does not engage the WPS function, holding down the reset button has zero effect.  When I connect this to my PC via USB the Netgear device does not even register.  This has to go back for a refund.  Overall I'm incredibly disappointed, not just because the firmware update failed mid-cycle and that seems to have caused all this, but that Netgear has effectively terminated any and all support and directs to a community.  Its great that this community exists, but its not Netgear providing the service themselves and that's incredibly disappointing.  When I get my refund I don't think I'll be buying Netgear to replace this.  

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

You shouldn't be connecting to it via usb unless you have a usb---ethernet adapter. 

and if the firmware is corrupt, you can potentially recover it via tftp or nmrpflash. 

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 6 of 8
RAR84
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply.
The unit has a USB socket at the back so I have connected to that, USB to USB. I have also connected via ethernet cable as described previously, the netgear device does not register with either method. I've already re packed it, processed my return request and got it ready to ship back for a refund. When the instruction manual that comes with the product is so light on detail it really should not take this much effort to get it set up. I am not heavily technical but have worked in and around IT for over 15 years, while I'm sure the unit can be recovered it requires expertise and time that I don't have. I'm just incredibly disappointed that the instructions to install have such little information, combined with absolutely no actual manufacturer support, so when something goes wrong I'm left completely in the dark. Thank goodness Amazon are good at returns here.
Message 7 of 8
Lostinseale
Aspirant

I have the same model. Got it last night and tried to set it up today.  Same issue.  I won't even reset to factory.  Back it goes.  Netgear get your act together.  Also get some customer service.  

@RAR84 wrote:
Hi, thanks for the reply.
The unit has a USB socket at the back so I have connected to that, USB to USB. I have also connected via ethernet cable as described previously, the netgear device does not register with either method. I've already re packed it, processed my return request and got it ready to ship back for a refund. When the instruction manual that comes with the product is so light on detail it really should not take this much effort to get it set up. I am not heavily technical but have worked in and around IT for over 15 years, while I'm sure the unit can be recovered it requires expertise and time that I don't have. I'm just incredibly disappointed that the instructions to install have such little information, combined with absolutely no actual manufacturer support, so when something goes wrong I'm left completely in the dark. Thank goodness Amazon are good at returns here.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7