× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up 2 WN3000RP to one router

weyzer07
Follower

Setting up 2 WN3000RP to one router

Hello There,
Here's my problem. My router is a netgear N9000, i have a large old house and the router is on the second floor. I have a WN3000RP on the first floor which works great, unfortunately i get a rotten signal in my bedroom (second floor) and would like to associate another WN3000RP with the router to boost the signal upstairs. Is this possible? I did try using the WPS button, the new extender connected fine but it seemed to cancel out the extender on the first floor, nothing would connect to it. I was thinking is the problem that both extenders have the same name "network_EXT", is there a way to manually set up the second exteder with WPS security and a different name like "network_EXT2"...any help would be appreciated...thanks
Message 1 of 5
dsteinschneider
Aspirant

Re: Setting up 2 WN3000RP to one router

Why didn't anyone from Netgear answer this sure to be commonly asked question. I looked all over the documentation, online KB's and Newegg and Amazon user reviews in hopes of discovering some guidance on how to add the second WN3500RP.

The Push and Connect method worked for the first one. The second worked using the same method but the same SSID was used (why not look for existing ones and change SSID to EXT1, EXT2 etc?)

I called into support and they gave me a ticket but when I logged in it's not there.

Netgear should be doing a better job with this type of support
Message 2 of 5
Maxime
Aspirant

Repeating a repeated signal is a bad idea. A repeater halves the signal each time it is used. With a cascade of repeater (one repeating the other) you end up very quiclky with a too small throughput to be of any use. Try Powerline instead.
Message 3 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://www.cloudtrax.com/docs/network_planning_guide.pdf

look at page 6.

Good documents to repeating...
Message 4 of 5
ScottLu
Aspirant

Am having the same difficulty. I, and other posters, from my read of their situation, are not attempting to piggy back the two extenders. We wish to connect each of the two extenders from far flung locations at opposite ends of the house to the same router. I can get one of them to connect appropriately, but when the I attempt to connect the second one, both the extenders fail to allow devices to connect to them. I have successfully changed the SSID of each extender so they are not exactly the same, after much work, but this hasn't resolved the issue.:confused:
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7