× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up Access Point in my apartment

Dan9252
Aspirant

Setting up Access Point in my apartment

Hey everyone,

I hope this is an easy question to answer. I am living in an off campus apartment, but internet is provided through the school. Because of this, I don't need a modem, but rather just need to plug the ethernet cord straight to my computer and the internet works without doing anything.

I have a wireless router, a NETGEAR N300. I know I need to set up an access point in order to use wifi, but all I have been able to find so far is how to set up an access point while using another router.

So in short, I have an internet connection already that I just need to convert to wifi with my N300 router. I know access point is the way to go, but not sure how to do it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dan
Message 1 of 4
fordem
Mentor

Re: Setting up Access Point in my apartment

First - before setting up any wireless access devices, consult your university network administrator.

Second - you can most likely use the router as a router with no modem.

Third - you can setup the router as an access point using the instructions you have - it will work. even though you only have one router.
Message 2 of 4
Dan9252
Aspirant

Hello! Thank you for the reply. I followed the directions I found which pretty much told me to change the LAN IP to 192.168.1.100 and to uncheck the box that says "Use Router as DHCP server". Now when I try to connect to the network I get an exclamation point (on my macbook pro) on the wifi logo which tells me that there is no internet connection. This is different than before when it just connected to the network and did not tell me anything about an internet connection. The problem now is that I cannot connect to the router to access its settings, either through wifi or when then ethernet cable is connected to the router.
Message 3 of 4
fordem
Mentor

Normally I advise against using a router as an access point - because it's usually more of a hassle than it's worth.

Here are your possible problems.

a) For the MAC not having an internet connection ...

it may not have acquired an ip address - for which the possible reasons are ...

a1) your school only allows one MAC address per ethernet port
a2) you school requires all network devices to be registered
a3) you have the router connected via the WAN port and not the LAN port

b) For your not being able to access the router's web page

b1) the macbook pro may not have an ip address - see above
b2) the macbook pro may have an ip address in a different network range to that of the router.

Did you discuss this with the school's network administrator as I suggested?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7