× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up a wifi extender

Rustybolt
Aspirant

Setting up a wifi extender

These products are junk.  Why cannot I simply use WPS to connect this to my router???  It makes you use the extender which has lousy internet to go through this.

Model: EX6110|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
antinode
Guru

Re: Setting up a wifi extender

> These products are junk. [...]

Thanks for your thoughtful analysis.

> Model: EX6110|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender

Is that "These products"?

> [...] Why cannot I simply use WPS to connect this to my router???
> [...]

With my weak psychic powers, I couldn't say.

> [...] It makes you use the extender which has lousy internet to go
> through this.

Huh?  Rather than posting this drivel, have you considered the
advantages of providing some useful problem description?  For example:
Say what you did.  Say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

Here's a radical concept which helps some people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"Connect with WPS"?    Further reading might not hurt, either.

Message 2 of 7
Rustybolt
Aspirant

No, YOUR response is drivel!   My router has a WPS button and so does the NetGear wifi extender.  There were no instructions on using that simple method to connect my extender to my router.  All instructions had me going to my iphone with a poor internet connection and using the extender to go to the Netgear site.  Slo-mo and stupid.

Model: EX6150v2|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] There were no instructions on using that simple method to
> connect my extender to my router. [...]

> [...] Get the User Manual (at least). Read. Look for "Connect with
> WPS"?

Did you?  Which part of "To use WPS to connect the extender to your
WiFi router: [...]" was unclear?

> [...] All instructions [...]

With my weak psychic powers, I still have no idea what you're
reading, or what you're doing, or what happens when you do whatever you
did.

> [...] Slo-mo and stupid.

Something seems to be.

Message 4 of 7
Razor512
Prodigy

By far the easiest way to perform the setup is to simply power the extender on, and then connect to the open network that it creates. Then either enter in the extender's IP or the mywifiext  page (the extender will intercept the DNS request and redirect you to the local web UI for the extender).

One issue with using WPS to set up an extender, is that WPS typically only connects you to 1 band per session, thus it will not give a good out of the box experience it it ends up doing something like connecting to just the 2.4GHz band, and performing poorly, especially if you have 20/40MHz coexistence enabled and in a congested area, your main AP drops to 20MHz channel width.

The setup wizard simply has you select an AP on the 2.4GHz band, as well as the 5GHz band, and then it connects to both. It also avoids weird WPS issues, e.g., a friend of mine who is stuck with Spectrum, and was using one of their cable modem/ routers, and the WPS function simply did not work reliably, where devices would fail the WPS process 9 out of 10 times.  Only reason he sticks with the horrible cable gateway is becaue it does not have a monthly fee on his plan.

Anyway, the setup process is extremely fast (faster on a PC than a smartphone). Just have your WiFi password ready in your clipboard so that you can select the 2 bands, and then just paste your password in.

Message 5 of 7
Rustybolt
Aspirant

Razor512

My main problem is where I live getting on the internet really requires wifi.  If that extender gets on the internet it is a very doggy connection.

I think I tried connecting to its "network" via my laptop but got a response of "no internet connection".   

Regarding your answer, I am not very good at acronyms.  Maybe a definition of the following would help out:  
"DNS request and redirect you to the local web UI"

"your main AP drops to 20MHz channel width"

I am also stuck with  Spectrum and the WPS did not work when I tried it.  Do you suppose I could go to a decent location where the extender can get on the internet better and try the setup there, then bring the extender back home and give it a go?

Message 6 of 7
Rustybolt
Aspirant

Razor512

I was able to do the setup after moving the extender upstairs near an outside wall.  Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7