× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setup Question Involving Configuration for an NG Universal Wi-Fi Ranger Extender, Model: WN2000RPT2

pdmike
Tutor

Setup Question Involving Configuration for an NG Universal Wi-Fi Ranger Extender, Model: WN2000RPT2

My Range Extender has a WPN button and so does my router.  If I "introduce" the Range Extender to the router by using the WPN buttons on each device, is that all I need to do to configure the Range Extender?

I have seen videos on configuring my particular Range Extender and none of them involve use of the WPN buttons.  Instead, they show a complicated procedure using the computer's browser and making various selections in a configuration screen that comes up on the computer screen.  Is it necessary to do all that if you have WPN buttone on your Netgear device and your router, or can you just do it the easy way, by using the WPN buttons?

Model: WN2000RPTv2|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Setup Question Involving Configuration for an NG Universal Wi-Fi Ranger Extender, Model: WN2000R

@pdmike wrote:

This implies (at least to me) that either method reaches the same result, that one way is no better than the other.  Would you agree?

Yes.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
pdmike
Tutor

Re: Setup Question Involving Configuration for an NG Universal Wi-Fi Ranger Extender, Model: WN2000R

I meant WPS button .....

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You can use WPS, the details are in the user manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WN2000RPT_UM_05MAR2012.pdf

If it fails, then use the web browser setup method (which isn't difficult, though it might look that way on the video).

Message 3 of 5
pdmike
Tutor

Thanks.  I know I can use WPS - that wasn't my question.  My question is, is one better than the other?  I did download and print up the manual and I did read it (RTFM).  The manual seems to say that if your router is equipped to handle a WPS configuration, that is the best way to go and you should only use the computer configuration method if WPS is not available.  This implies (at least to me) that either method reaches the same result, that one way is no better than the other.  Would you agree?

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@pdmike wrote:

This implies (at least to me) that either method reaches the same result, that one way is no better than the other.  Would you agree?

Yes.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7