× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setup hangs on "Apply Security Settings" screen

mcd4959
Novice

Setup hangs on "Apply Security Settings" screen

Bought a new router this week - Netgear N600 WNDR3400. I had an older Netgear router it replaced. For some reason, after working seamlessly for months, I started getting DNS errors. Did a little research, thought the router might be bad, and went for a new one.

New one connects to the internet and two laptops just fine, but the two Netgear Access Points I had no longer connect. I have 2 WN2000RPT units - I need them for wired connections to my Blu-ray and AVR's I have set up on 2 different floors in the house. Plus I work from my home office in my basement a lot, and the extender has really helped my connectivity there. It's an old brick house, so there are limitations to wiring. The laptops can see the access points, but when I try to set them up it will not complete.

I cannot get past the Apply Security Settings screen. I connect to www.mywifiext.net, it recoginizes the access point, asks for the security phrase, I enter it, and then nada. Just stays there. I've tried resetting the access point (full insert the paper clip reset) and still nothing.

I must be doing something wrong. Can you help? Thanks.
Message 1 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WPA2 encryption should work the best and extender is 2.4ghz only so make are both band is enabled in router interface for wireless
Message 2 of 8
mcd4959
Novice

Thanks - both are enabled with WPA2 encryption already. Any other ideas?
Message 3 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

make sure SSID is unique for the 3400.

I would power cycle the router (on/off) and try again with your extender after reset or as it.
Message 4 of 8
mcd4959
Novice

That did the trick! I had to choose manually typing in the name of the network - if I just clicked on it, I still got the hanging issue. Weird, but typing it in worked.

Thanks very much!
Message 5 of 8
mcd4959
Novice

That did the trick! I had to manually type in the name of the network - if I just cliecked on it as one of the avaialble networks, it would hang. By typing in the name of the net it moved on.

Weird but it worked. Thanks for your help!
Message 6 of 8
mcd4959
Novice

sorry for the double post
Message 7 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

great... enjoy!:)
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats