× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I buy a new router or just get a range extender?

KOS61
Aspirant

Should I buy a new router or just get a range extender?

Hi,

I currently have a Nighthawk R7000 WiFi router that I purchased in 2013 and I need better range out of it.

I was wondering if I should just get a range extender, and if so, which one would be good?

Or should I purchase a new system, and if so, which one?

I have a 2 story house that is about 3700 sqft.

6 people in the house, gaming, streaming, computers, phones...

Thanks,

Kurt

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Should I buy a new router or just get a range extender?

I wouldn't recommend the modem/router combo devices. reason why is twofold. 1. the isp controls the firmware on the modem/router combo devices and they have to update them. which they rarely do. 2. if one side of it goes bad, you need to replace the whole unit.

its a higher buy in to get them seperate but then you control the firmware on the router and if the modem goes bad, that's all you replace. 

I'd just look at system coverage, what you need for ports and go that route.  orbi put out a couple dual band cheaper systems. I wouldn't buy the dual band systems that orbi has. The tribands reserve one of the radios just for router---satellite communication and tend to have better throughput/stability. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

3700sq ft is quite a bit of area for 1 router. I've got 3200 sq ft and run an orbi setup with a device on each level.  (plus one outside). 

For that much area and the fact that you game/stream/and have quite a few devices from the sound of it, I'd recommend moving to a mesh setup versus a router + extender setup. 

Message 2 of 5
KOS61
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply...which Orbi sytem would you recommend?

Kurt

Message 3 of 5
KOS61
Aspirant

Also is it better to have the Orbi as the modem?

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't recommend the modem/router combo devices. reason why is twofold. 1. the isp controls the firmware on the modem/router combo devices and they have to update them. which they rarely do. 2. if one side of it goes bad, you need to replace the whole unit.

its a higher buy in to get them seperate but then you control the firmware on the router and if the modem goes bad, that's all you replace. 

I'd just look at system coverage, what you need for ports and go that route.  orbi put out a couple dual band cheaper systems. I wouldn't buy the dual band systems that orbi has. The tribands reserve one of the radios just for router---satellite communication and tend to have better throughput/stability. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7