Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Slow 5Ghz connection with Nighthawk MK62 / AX1800 Mesh Routers

bulletproofhk
Aspirant

Slow 5Ghz connection with Nighthawk MK62 / AX1800 Mesh Routers

Nighthawk MK62 AX1800

Firmware: v1.0.6.102

Hi,

I have purchased the MK62 system for a week. All my wifi devices at home can connect to the new router with some of them having connection speed issues.

My ISP plan is 1Gbps fibre network. The average download/upload speed with LAN cable is around 700Mbps / 900 Mbps. The average wireless download/upload speed connected to the primary router (MR60) with my old Macbook Pro and iPhone 10 XR are around 400Mbps / 500 Mbps, which is great compared to my old AC router which can only achieve at around 300Mbps up/dl speed.

My problems are with 2 of my Android phones. My primary phone (Sony Xperia XZ2) can archive the same speed like 400Mbps / 500Mbps when it is freshly connected to the router. When I move around at my home and the router decided to steer me to the satelite router, my connection speed drops to around 20 Mbps (with a 5Ghz connection as shown from the phone). While the iPhone 10 XR can keep up to around 200Mbps. Then my XZ2 will never automatically get back to a 400Mbps speed until I manually turn off and on the WIFI on my phone. The following scenarios will reproduce my problem.

i. My phone is routed from a primary router to the satellite. Then the speed will be dropped even it remains at a 5Ghz connection.

ii. My phone enters a poor signal area then it automatically swiched to a 2.4Ghz connection. Then the speed will be dropped even if I return to the living room.

Now the second problem is with my another old Android phone HTC X9. When it connects to the old AC router, the speed is around 150 Mbps. Now with the new MK62, the speed is always at around 25Mbps (whether at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz mode).

There were no problem with my other Apple products (iPhone 10 XR, iPhone 6 Plus, 2013 MacBook Pro, 2013 MacBook Air)

Just wonder if anyone have simlar problems like me? It is very annoying to swich off and on the wifi on the phone in order to connect with max speed.

Cheers,

Derek

Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Slow 5Ghz connection with Nighthawk MK62 / AX1800 Mesh Routers

Hi Derek,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
bulletproofhk
Aspirant

Re: Slow 5Ghz connection with Nighthawk MK62 / AX1800 Mesh Routers

Hi Christian,

Thanks for you reply. I did create a support case for the issue Case ID: 43775049. Unfortunately there was no solution to my problem.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7