× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow speeds on extender

Wolfen620
Guide

Slow speeds on extender

I am getting slow speeds on my extender using the nighthawk app speed test. I am getting 160 down and 40 up. The ex8000 is on firmware .202. My router is an rax120 on firmware .214. The router is getting 930 down and 50 up from the modem which is a cm1200. All lights are good on the extender including the Max thoroughput light. It is not  the placement of the extender as I get the same speeds with it right next to the router or 25 feet away. Please help. 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 9
Wolfen620
Guide

Sorry the extender firmware is .206 and router firmware is .114. 

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

have you tried hardwiring into the extender with a laptop/desktop and speedtesting it? The app isn't always the most reliable or it picks a slower server sometimes. 

Message 3 of 9
Wolfen620
Guide

Thanks I'll give it a try. 

Message 4 of 9
Wolfen620
Guide

Ok plugged a laptop directly into extender and it is not showing a internet connection on the laptop. WiFi connection is the only thing showing up. I tried 2 different cables same result. 

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Try a different device, different cable, and/or resetting the extender back to factory. 

Message 6 of 9
Wolfen620
Guide

That didn't work either. Got off the phone with tech support and they couldn't figure it out either. They changed a couple settings, set it up as new and same problem. She said to monitor my slow speeds for 12 to 48 hours and if they are the same to call back. ☹️ I think it will be getting a RMA. 

Message 7 of 9
Wolfen620
Guide

Ok one more question before I return this to Best Buy. My slow speeds continue and I get no internet signal when hardwired to the extender. My firmware says it's .206 but the latest firmware listed on the site is .202. Could this be the problem? I don't know where this .206 firmware came from. 

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

Maybe it was a newer firmware that was pulled its happened before. 

Try downgrading to the 1.0.1.202 firmware, factory resetting, and trying install 1 more time. If it doesn't work, I'd exchange it. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7