× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed of EX2700 is poor

cordenierm
Follower

Speed of EX2700 is poor

Hi

I have a EX2700 WIFI range extender. The status shows a connection of 145Mbps, but I am only getting 20-30Mbps. My central WIFI router can have 250Mbps. What settings to check or change to improve the spead of the EX2700.

Regards,

Maarten

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Speed of EX2700 is poor

2.4ghz is inherently slower than 5ghz and its more sensitive to interference because of less channels options. there's also a big difference from link speed to throughput speed. 

You also have to keep in mind that an extender cuts throughput in half and increases latency by the very nature of how it works. It has to recieve and then re-transmit which is why it cuts the bandwidth coming from the router in half. 

What speed do you get directly connected to the router over 2.4ghz? not link speed but throughput. 

for instance, my main Orbi router has an average throughput on 2.4ghz of 20-30mbps with peaks of up to 70mbps. And thats directly connected to the router. Reason why is there's so many 2.4ghz networks in my area that it creates interference on the 2.4ghz band. 

If I go with a regular router (not orbi) and connect it to an extender, my speeds are roughly 10-20mbps through the extender. 

the ex2700 is a very basic 2.4ghz extender. its great at extending the distance broadcast but it isn't going to be very high on throughput. If you need faster speeds, I'd look at a dual band extender or a triband. Benefit to triband is that they reserve one of the bands just for router-extender communication. this reduces the speed hit and latency hit you take because you're using an extender. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7