× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed problem with NETGEAR AX1800 Wifi extender (EAX20)

Eagle-Eyes
Aspirant

Speed problem with NETGEAR AX1800 Wifi extender (EAX20)

My NETGEAR AX1800 Wifi-Extender (EAX20) , just around 1 month old, suddenly reaches only a fraction of the wireless LAN speed in my home network compared to the speed that was reached before. I have not made any changes on the configuration of the device myself. Signal quality is excellent ort least is shown to be excellent within the configuration setup of the wifi extender.

These are the things that I have already tried and were unsuccessful:

• separating from power + reboot
  • exchanging all network cables
  • reconnecting the Wifi extender with my router
  • restoring a previously backed-up configuration file
  • complete reset of the Wifi extender to factory settings + new setup

Just for the purpose of testing, I replaced my NETGEAR AX1800 Wifi-Extender (EAX20) with my old wifi extender (from a different brand) and it gives me much higher speeds.

This makes me think that there is probably a hardware defect somewhere in my NETGEAR AX1800 Wifi-Extender (EAX20). What do you think? Anything else I could try?

Hardware: NETGEAR AX1800 Wifi-Extender (EAX20)

Firmeware: V1.0.1.64_1.0.104

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Speed problem with NETGEAR AX1800 Wifi extender (EAX20)

Do you have the screensnip of the status page for the extender? 

Have you tried changing the channels the main router is on? 

Whats your old extender? 

when you setup the extender, are you using wps? 

Message 2 of 4
Eagle-Eyes
Aspirant

Do you have the screensnip of the status page for the extender? - No, but there were no error messages anywhere.

Have you tried changing the channels the main router is on? - Yes, I tried that and selected channels, which were in least use. No change.

Whats your old extender? - A TRENDnet TEW-800MB.

when you setup the extender, are you using wps? - Yes - or rather both, i.e. I tried it both ways. With WPS and with the repeater configuration setup.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

The status page helps us to check it. there really shouldn't be any errors on it. 

But it helps us. Please include a screensnip.

Also, what wired speed do you get from the extender? 

What router do you have it connected to? 

that extender is a basic AX1800 extender. If you don't have an AX router, its not going to see any speed benefit over the trendnet as it'll connect around those same speeds as the trendnet in AC. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7