× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed questions.

de8212
Aspirant

Speed questions.

Got my ex6100 working yesterday. Logged into the web page to look at the settings and I noticed something odd.

Connection Status to Existing Network (2.4GHz)
Name (SSID) TP_2.4
Link Rate 270 Mbps
Connection Status Connected

Connection Status to Existing Network (5GHz)
Name (SSID) TP_5
Link Rate 117 Mbps
Connection Status Connected

Why does it show the 5Ghz speed is slower than the 2.4Ghz speed?

And shouldn't the speeds be significantly faster? Like around 750Mbps???

Message 1 of 6
fordem
Mentor

Re: Speed questions.

First - because of the laws of physics, higher frequencies suffer more from attenuation, so, at any given distance from your primary WiFi source (whether it be an access point or a router), the 2.4 GHz signal is going to be stronger than the 5GHz one - this can lead to lower connection speeds. Second - look closely at the spec - do you see the words "up to"? No manufacturer guarantees a given connection speed - the actual connection speeds will vary with the environment - physical building construction, distances between the devices, interference from other WiFi networks or electronic devices, all of these have an impact. The mere fact that you have purchased an extender is indicative that you are aware of the connection issues, the extender will alleviate but not eliminate these issues.
Message 2 of 6
de8212
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I guess I just assumed the 2.4Ghz is not going to be as fast as the 5Ghz even with walls, obstructions, etc. I know (or think I've read) that 2.4 does have a greater distance.
Just seemed odd the 5GHz is 1/2 speed of the 2.4.

And I actually don't have issues in the area the extender is located. I had a netgear N900 acting as an AP and for some reason my tivo doesn't like it. Replaced it with a switch and all is well. So, since I had an amazon gift card I picked up the ex6100 to handle wireless. I'll repurpose the N900 sometime in the future...or get rid of it.
Message 3 of 6
lurzan
Novice

de8212 wrote:
Got my ex6100 working yesterday. Logged into the web page to look at the settings and I noticed something odd.

Why does it show the 5Ghz speed is slower than the 2.4Ghz speed?

And shouldn't the speeds be significantly faster? Like around 750Mbps???

The speed here is not the speed of the Extender but the speed which is being provided by your router to this Extender. As you already know that 2.4GHz will have higher range than the 5GHz, maybe the 5GHz is not getting a good speed at the place where you have your extender. Try this, take your extender just near to your router and observe the link speed of your extender.
Message 4 of 6
damien_thg
Aspirant

Re : Speed questions.

Same problem to me, in 5Ghz, my computer shows a connection at 150 mbps speed instead of 450 mpbs.

I tried with an other model (other brand of my friend) in the same condition and it work at 450 mbps.

It appears there is a problem with the EX6100.

Message 5 of 6
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re : Speed questions.

Hi damien_thg,

Please see my response to your post in the other thread:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Repeaters/EX6100-AC750-in-Access-Point-mode-5G...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7