× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stronger signal

elainec33
Aspirant

Stronger signal

Hi, I am probably asking the impossible, but here goes.  For 28 years I was with Virgin but gradually been ripped off to the point where I even had data capped and for £14.50  a month cheaper went with Talktalk.

The problem is that the new router is right by the front wall next to the TV and I want to keep the laptop upstairs.  The speed is pretty grim in the street, sometimes a max of 8mbps but not very often.  I found an old Netgear wifi extender and plugged it in upstairs and can get 3 mb on my laptop but by the evening it goes to 0.1 which is even less than the upload speed lol.

Ideally I would like to have some sort of extender (I live in an an old brick house) that will reach as far as the kitchen which would be around 30 feet from router at front so that I can get a signal in the garden.  So I am wondering if I could plug something in to a socket in the kitchen.  Above the kitchen is the extension bedroom with not very thick ceiling where the laptop is.  Any recommendations would be much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Stronger signal

Have you looked are outdoor orbi its an extender that you can put on the outside of your home if you are looking for coverage out in the garden.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbs50y.aspx

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
elainec33
Aspirant

Re: Stronger signal

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.   WIll look into that. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7