× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Suggested setup for a Netgear X4s with Ex7000

wfarid
Initiate

Suggested setup for a Netgear X4s with Ex7000

I have a Netgear Nighthawk X4S 7800 and and Range Extender EX7000. Currently I'm using the EX7000 extender as a wireless bridge so that I can connect my desktop to my network/internet (it doesnt have built in wifi and my usb dongle craped out on me). I turned the wifi extending off (the 7800 does a good job of spreading signal throughout the apartment and I don't want to have too much wifi noise).

I was wondering if i would benefit from fastlane? Or if there are any other settings I can enable. I currently only have the bridge connected via the 5ghz band. 

THanks for your help!  

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Suggested setup for a Netgear X4s with Ex7000

@wfarid wrote:

I was wondering if i would benefit from fastlane?

Fastlane dedicates a radio to the backhaul connection between the extender and the router (not using it for client connections to the extender).

Since you aren't using the extender's wifi client network at all, you are getting the same benefit in a somewhat different way.  So there is no reason to configure fastlane on the extender. 

Though you might want to confirm that the extender->router connection is using 5 Ghz.

@wfarid wrote:

Or if there are any other settings I can enable.

I don't think so.  Are you thinking the performance is inadequate?  What speed are you getting (say with www.speedtest.net)?

Message 2 of 4
wfarid
Initiate

My speed is actually quite good. I was just wondering if I could improve it in any way. Thanks for the feedback! And yes it is def connected and operarting in 5ghz AC. 

Message 3 of 4
endlessender
Aspirant

I have the exact sanme setup for the exact same reason.   However, I have recently enabled Fastlane  (not Mesh) for a couple of wifi devices that could use help in  the range department. It all seems to work fine but I'm wondering if   some other configuration would be better. Also curious if the extender is creating more wfi noise in this configuration. Anyway,  would be great to compare notes since we have the same setup.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7