× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

To All Those with WN3000RP Connection Problems

Retired_Member
Not applicable

To All Those with WN3000RP Connection Problems

I see lots of posts here about people having problems with this unit.

You should be aware that earlier versions of firmware had lots of problems establishing and maintaining connections with the router.

The first thing you should do when you are having any problems with your WN3000RP is make sure you have the most recent firmware installed. *All* the problems I used to have with my connections were solved with the upgrade to the current firmware, which is version 1.0.1.34.

About a month ago I bought another of these, and it had older firmware installed on it, so don't assume you have the most recent version just because you just bought the device.

If you need to update your firmware, it is safest to do it over a WIRED connection. Consult your manual.

When posting about your problems, it is helpful for you to give the following information:

What firmware version is installed on your WN3000RP?

What is the make and model of the router are you trying to connect to?

What firmware version is on your router?
Message 1 of 21
Keefie
Aspirant

Re: To All Those with WN3000RP Connection Problems

Could my device have updated itself?
Message 2 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Keefie wrote:
Could my device have updated itself?

Not without you logging into your extender and clicking that it was OK to update it.
Message 3 of 21
Beartooth
Aspirant

I have just purchased and received a refurbished WN3000RP from Amazon. I registered it, but haven't had time to set it up yet. I have some questions on the firmware: How do I go about upgrading the firmware if it isn't mated to my router yet? Can I do it simply with an ethernet cable to one of my computers? Does it do the update automatically if the extender is ethernetted and I click on the update button, or does it download an exe for me to run? Also, on the page for this product, it has a link to the update 1.0.1.34. It also says (NA and WW users). Should this be an issue as I can't seem to find Netgear's explanation for the abbreviations? Any help will be appreciated.
Message 4 of 21
allatsea
Aspirant

Yep, I have a WN3000RP. Thanks for the note. BUT, I have a problem.

I'm running various wireless MAC and PC and two iPad at my house, through a wireless router N600 WNDR3400v2 (hooked to a Comcast cable modem).

Everything is working fine.

However, the WN3000RP extender (which I installed at first attempt about 3 months ago and was great) became intermittent last week, and then didn't want to connect.

I have tried via NetGenie etc to connect to it. It wants a password, which I assume is my Netgear78 router password (WPA-2), but shakes me off when I use that password.

When the Extender is plugged into a wall socket, even right beside the router, the WPS and STATUS lights come on to Green is a few seconds. But pressing the WPS connect button and then pressing the large blue WPS button on the side of the N600 doesn't hook it up. (Nothing flashes on the N600 - only on the 3000)

The NetGenie can see it. My iMac System Preferences sees two extenders (I only have one). It sees NETGEAR_Ext and Netgear78-Ext. But as I recall, it should be NETGEAR78_EXT.

So, after all that, what is happening here?

Can I start all over, somehow, as if it was a new one? At the moment, all I ever get is a request for a password, which it will not accept.

Help please,

Thanks,

"allatsea" 🙂
Message 5 of 21
allatsea
Aspirant

I forget to add: Firmware is V1.0.0.34_1.0.52
Message 6 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would hit the reset button, then go through the mywifiext online setup instead of WPS. Consult your manual.
Message 7 of 21
Melviba
Aspirant

My WN3000RP connection issues have exacerbated since changing my router from Sky (D-Link) to Virgin.

Firmware: V1.0.1.34_1.1.46
Wireless Router: Virgin Media SuperHub (I believe this is Netgear but can't confirm)
Wireless Router Firmware: V2.37.01

Prior to installing Virgin, my WN3000RP would intermittently lose connection 2/3 times a day on various devices. Since installing Virgin this has increased to every few minutes.

I have tried WPS (the Virgin router has WPS capability with NetGear) with and without.

I have also tried setting up an access list using MAC addresses to no avail.

I'm close to trying the Virgin Router in Modem mode with a D-Link router but that's getting complicated for my liking.

I'm pulling my hair out, please help.

Thanks
Message 8 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My best guess would be that the Virgin router has a weaker signal, thus the lost connections.

There are HUGE differences between signal strength and coverage between different routers, even within the same brand.

My D-Link router didn't have very good coverage, and I had to keep my WN3000RP fairly close to it or it would constantly drop the signal. When I swapped out the D-Link for a Netgear, I had much better coverage and was able to move the WN3000RP further away and still maintain the signal.

Try moving the extender closer to the router and see if it still drops the signal. If not, then the problem is a smaller footprint with the new router.
Message 9 of 21
jimbobo
Aspirant

User name is: admin Password is: password
Message 10 of 21
Melviba
Aspirant

Thanks for the response PigVomit, however, I've checked the signal strength to death, generally the signal strength is between 50 and 30% so really shouldn't be an issues.

I think their may be a conflicting signal on the channel. However, when I move WN3000RP to what looks like the strongest channel, it seem to automatically become the weak one. Confusing as hell.
Message 11 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Melviba wrote:
Thanks for the response PigVomit, however, I've checked the signal strength to death, generally the signal strength is between 50 and 30% so really shouldn't be an issues.

I think their may be a conflicting signal on the channel. However, when I move WN3000RP to what looks like the strongest channel, it seem to automatically become the weak one. Confusing as hell.

If it's only between 30 and 50 that's probably the problem. That's fairly low.

Just move it closer and see how it does. Humor me.

As for the channel, that could also be it, but I kind of doubt it. The extender channel defaults to the same channel(s) as the primary router. I recommend using Inssider (at Metageek) to check for the signal channels in your area. Use the clearest channel of 2, 6, or 11 (just trust me on this, or do research on your own as to why you don't want to use other channels).
Message 12 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I meant channels ONE six or eleven, not two.
Message 13 of 21
tiger60
Aspirant

I have Windows 8 and can't get anywhere with setting up my WN3000RP. I can't go START- ALL PROGRAMS because there is no such thing in Win8 that I can see. Does the smart wizard work with Win8?

I also can't register it even though I am entering the right S/N so can't enter chat. I have tried calling umpteen times but all I get is a busy signal. I'm getting VERY frustrated. HELP!!
Message 14 of 21
etsrnka
Aspirant

I keep having this issue

The selected network is no longer available. Please make sure the existing network equipment is within the proximity of the Extender.

If you have Access Control List (ACL) enabled in your router, please make sure you have added below MAC address into your router's Access Control List (ACL).
The Extender MAC address is 20:E5:2A:15:58:BA
Your wireless adapter MAC address is CA:BC:C8:CE:AC:7E

suggestions? I have no clue what all this means
Message 15 of 21
stuharris
Aspirant

Had the same issues and proximity wasn't the cause. Read in another post to try changing from WPA2 to WPA. As soon as I did that, it connected. I haven't attempted switching back now that it's connected, but the WN3000RP's settings do include WPA2.
Message 16 of 21
Jic
Aspirant
Aspirant

Extender stopped working after I moved it to another plug. Can hear hum when hit on button. Tried reset and on off.
Message 17 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jic

Did you try moving it back to see if it connect again?

DarrenM

Message 18 of 21
Jic
Aspirant
Aspirant

It does come on. When I press on and put to ear I hear a hum and no lights and hum stops when I press off.
Message 19 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I would try a factory reset again make sure you hold the reset button for 10+ seconds and then set up the extender again.

DarrenM

Message 20 of 21
Swapun
Aspirant

Has anyone had the issue with data increase with the extender I have a data plan of 350 and I had it running for over 2 years and never went over but recently about 4 monthes ago I had moved it and redid eveything and for the last 4 monthes my data has be going over our data plan by 100 to 150 GB per month. Has anyone had a issue with the extender running when it doesn't need to be? 

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7