× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Topology question

uid73404
Novice

Topology question

Hi,
So I have a WNDR3700 in my basement office next to the modem in one corner of the home. My home is wired with Cat6 to most rooms which is great for TV's, XBOX, my main PC and where reliability is key.

However, the wireless signal for the house is coming from that deep dark corner of the basement - it is great vertically through the home, but horizontal range is poor - due to a number of walls etc the signal has to pass through.

This is particularly frustrating because it is nice to be able to use airplay from an ipad (or similar streaming idea) to a wired TV - but poor wireless signal quality prevents this.

So what do I do ?

1)I thought about having just a wired router in the basement by the modem to distribute the houses cat6 signal and connecting the WNDR3700 to a cat6 point in a more central location to get better wireless signal distribution.
Seems that just a wired router doesn't exist in Netgear's product line - could/should I then just get another 'WNDR3700 and disable its wireless and put it in the basement - and use the existing WNDR3700 as wireless elsewhere in the house connected via a cat6 connection?

2) Could i do as above (both connected wired to cat6), but have both WNDR3700's with their wireless active?
Would they have same ssid and enable me to walk around home without dropping the signal/stream as I crossed from one's signal to the others?
I've seen the wireless range extenders, but not having a wired connection seems pointless in my situation.

3) other idea?

Cheers
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

1)I thought about having just a wired router in the basement by the modem to distribute the houses cat6 signal and connecting the WNDR3700 to a cat6 point in a more central location to get better wireless signal distribution.
Seems that just a wired router doesn't exist in Netgear's product line - could/should I then just get another 'WNDR3700 and disable its wireless and put it in the basement - and use the existing WNDR3700 as wireless elsewhere in the house connected via a cat6 connection?

cheapest way to leave your broadband modem in the basement and place 3700 central location if you return one ethernet back to basement and place small gigabit switch.

or

leave the setup as is and place additional 3700 as AP

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

2) Could i do as above (both connected wired to cat6), but have both WNDR3700's with their wireless active?
Would they have same ssid and enable me to walk around home without dropping the signal/stream as I crossed from one's signal to the others?
I've seen the wireless range extenders, but not having a wired connection seems pointless in my situation.

if you do make additional 3700 AP , you can make SAME SSID and encryption to make wifi roaming..
Message 2 of 6
uid73404
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
cheapest way to leave your broadband modem in the basement and place 3700 central location if you return one ethernet back to basement and place small gigabit switch.

Thanks for the speedy response.
In this case i'd need two wired runs to the place I locate the 3700 - internet feed and return to the switch correct ?

jmizoguchi wrote:

leave the setup as is and place additional 3700 as AP

if you do make additional 3700 AP , you can make SAME SSID and encryption to make wifi roaming..

In this case I think i'm limited to WEP not WPA2 ?

I did just talk to Tech Support on phone and they said that the WN2000RPT could be connected to the wired existing network rather than connecting to the existing network wirelessly (not possible in my case due to poor signal) - i looked online at the user manual and it states that the ethernet ports are for connecting devices - not for use as a network source. Any comments?
Message 3 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Thanks for the speedy response.
In this case i'd need two wired runs to the place I locate the 3700 - internet feed and return to the switch correct ?

you got it! 🙂

In this case I think i'm limited to WEP not WPA2 ?

NO.. use can use WPA2

you are not repeating.. using ethernet cable to 2nd unit

I did just talk to Tech Support on phone and they said that the WN2000RPT could be connected to the wired existing network rather than connecting to the existing network wirelessly (not possible in my case due to poor signal) - i looked online at the user manual and it states that the ethernet ports are for connecting devices - not for use as a network source. Any comments?

I was going to suggest but you had CAT6 cables. with wn2000rpt, you MUST place closer to the router .

I would say install 2nd AP wired at remote area
Message 4 of 6
uid73404
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
you got it! 🙂

I would say install 2nd AP wired at remote area

Just so I'm clear...
1) you mean use another 3700 [the 'AP']
I guess I could use something cheaper with 2.4GHz N and some wired ports ?

Any suggestions of such a Netgear device ? (the 5GHz seems so range limited - at least where I have it located now).

2) does the wire into the remote 3700 go into one of the four 'Ethernet' ports (per the link you gave) rather than the 'internet' port ?

3) I can setup same SSID on both 3700's, with different channels and in theory roam around streaming video transferring back and forth between each 3700 without hiccups (in theory).....

4) any special settings in the remote routers setup - apart from disabling DCHP ?

PS I still like the idea of using the simple switch...

Cheers Again
Message 5 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

1) you mean use another 3700 [the 'AP']
I guess I could use something cheaper with 2.4GHz N and some wired ports ?

whatever you want to if you are planning to use same SSID, use same model or would be good

2) does the wire into the remote 3700 go into one of the four 'Ethernet' ports (per the link you gave) rather than the 'internet' port ?

did you look... I will let you figure out ...

3) I can setup same SSID on both 3700's, with different channels and in theory roam around streaming video transferring back and forth between each 3700 without hiccups (in theory).....

SAME SSID, SAME CHANNEL, SAME ENCRYPTION for using 2 of 3700

roaming is based on how wifi devices can change. router has less to do with roaming...

4) any special settings in the remote routers setup - apart from disabling DCHP ?

just follow

PS I still like the idea of using the simple switch...

this will basically making switch and access point only
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7