× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Tri band extenders in cascade

Spartanfighter
Aspirant

Tri band extenders in cascade

Good afternoon,

My question is pretty simple.

A wifi extender "A" (connected wirelessly to the router) would cut the speed in half. A second extender "B" connected to extender "A" would further add 50% loss and so on, for multiple extenders connected in cascade.

-Why is this happening?

-Would tri band extenders (such as EX8000) solve the "cascade" problem?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Tri band extenders in cascade

Yes and no.

If you're using dual band and not using fastlane (see fast lane info) the radio has to receive the data and then retransmit it on the same radio. This is why it cuts throughput in half and increases latency. Going with a triband with a dedicated backhaul like EX8000 or Orbi reduces this as it dedicates a radio just for "talking" to the main router. It doesn't  "solve" the problem because you still have delays the more you daisy chain them together for distance but it does help with the problem. Fastlane helps as well.  Most people don't daisy chain extenders as that latency and errors increase the more you add. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24662/What-is-FastLane-Technology-and-how-do-I-configure-it

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Yes and no.

If you're using dual band and not using fastlane (see fast lane info) the radio has to receive the data and then retransmit it on the same radio. This is why it cuts throughput in half and increases latency. Going with a triband with a dedicated backhaul like EX8000 or Orbi reduces this as it dedicates a radio just for "talking" to the main router. It doesn't  "solve" the problem because you still have delays the more you daisy chain them together for distance but it does help with the problem. Fastlane helps as well.  Most people don't daisy chain extenders as that latency and errors increase the more you add. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24662/What-is-FastLane-Technology-and-how-do-I-configure-it

Message 2 of 6
Spartanfighter
Aspirant

So let say I can have only one AP at the one side of a building and I wish to ensure wifi coverage over the whole building via a daisy chain I guess . Wired extenders is not a choice since that would require cabling/digging through the walls. Each wifi extender in cascade would cut speed in half.

What other options do I have? How about a mesh wifi system, or extenders over powerline?

How can I  best extend the wifi network without using cables or reducing speed at each "hop" ofthe chain?

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Spartanfighter wrote:

So let say I can have only one AP at the one side of a building and I wish to ensure wifi coverage over the whole building via a daisy chain I guess . Wired extenders is not a choice since that would require cabling/digging through the walls. Each wifi extender in cascade would cut speed in half.

What other options do I have? How about a mesh wifi system, or extenders over powerline?

How can I  best extend the wifi network without using cables or reducing speed at each "hop" ofthe chain?

Thanks

You can have more than one extender. If you're going to do it its best to do it like star topology instead of daisy. what I mean by that is set it up like this:

Extender<----router/modem--->Extender   

versus daisy which is 

router/modem--->extender-->extender   

Mesh network is a decent option. it tolerates daisy chain better than just linking multiple extenders.  Powerline is also an option. You can even use it as the wired backhaul for Orbi, as wired connection for access points, or even get the powerline that has wifi built in.

What sized area are you trying to cover?  

Message 4 of 6
Spartanfighter
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies. It is a long-corridor type area, which will require around 10 extenders.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

how long is this corridor that it needs 10 extenders?

Have you tried powerline to go from one end to the other? see how the connection is?

Orbi pro only supports up to 6 satellites and that's the pro setup. 

For the cost oof one of these systems, it might be worth removing your base moulding (trim) and running a cable behind there. You could fish the wire up and back down for ethernet drops spaced down the corridor. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7