× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble Firmware WMS5316

fchasseux
Aspirant

Trouble Firmware WMS5316

Hi,

I recently bought 1 WMS5316 and 2 AP WNDAP350.

I boot the wms5316 and click on every menu with firefox6 on W7 32bits - Everything is ok.

Then before to tune all the stuff, I decide, like I do for everything, to upgrade to the last version.(2.1.2 for WMS5316 and 2.0.27 for AP)

At first, I don't notice anything wrong but when I tried to recognize my AP, I get nothing.

After a few try, I get the idea that it's a problem with the OUI. Then I try to go to the OUI menu on the WMS5316 but it has disapear !!!

I have try with IE9 and it's the same. The OUI is not in the menu anymore.

So I donwgrade the WMS5316 to the base firmware and I get back the OUI menu with IE9 but still not there in firefox6.
I was then able to detect the AP.

I loose my time !!!! It's supposed to be PROFESSIONAL stuff. It could be PROFESSIONAL to get intruction on wich browser your stuff is working.
It could be more PROFESSIONAL to develop web interface wich work with all the browser.
Message 1 of 35
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Trouble Firmware WMS5316

for most part, netgear makes most fitted to use with IE browser.

🙂
Message 2 of 35
fchasseux
Aspirant

Thx

Yes, I know that it's more and more difficult to have an web interface working in every browser that's why it should be specified in the download documentation page.

I forget to specifies that I had to clear the cache of IE9 after the downgrade to get back the OUI menu.

regards
Message 3 of 35
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

For me , doesn't matter what devices I'm working I use IE regardless.... 🙂
Message 4 of 35
fchasseux
Aspirant

Re,

souhaitant tout de meme mettre à jours à la fois le WMS et les AP, je sollicite votre aide.
(Car la version 2.0.3 du WMS ne fontionne pas avec le dernier firmware des AP)

Tout d'abord, est il possible de gerer les entrées OUI par le SSH ??

Ensuite, quel est le login/password pour l'acces SSH sur le WMS ??
(ssh vers une AP en utilisant admin/monpasswordmodifié et ca marche par contre impossible de me connecter sur le WMS - version 2.0.3)

Back again

I really want to upgrade all the stuff so I need your help.
(Because firmware 2.0.3 of WMS is not compatible with the last firmware of the AP)

1 - Is it possible to manage the OUI with an SSH session ??

2 - What account to use to connect in SSH to the WMS ??
(I can't connect on the WMS [auth failure] but I can connect on the AP)
Message 5 of 35
fchasseux
Aspirant

Hi again

I found the account, it is root/mypassword

Now I am in, where is the config files where the OUI are kept ?
Message 6 of 35
broadld
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue just upgraded the controller to 2.1.2 and all access points to 2.0.27 and factory reset the controller to start a fresh and now it will not discover any access points. In the older firmwares there was a discovery OUI feature where you could add the first 6 digits of mac addresses so that access points would be detected in auto discover but the new firmware uses a different method of finding access points which evidently does not work!!
I currently have a case open with netgear which is currently being worked on by level 3 support as we are resellers so we get very fast support and this affects quite a number of our clients if they want to upgrade to the latest firmware.

I will keep you up to date on what they come back to me with!

Thanks
David
Message 7 of 35
fchasseux
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for the information broadld !!!

I have called the netgear support and they told me it was a failure and that I should do a return.
So I send back the stuff and get some new one.

And guess ... the same shit happen !!!

Could you inform me if netgear give you a solution broadld ??

Thanks a lot.
Message 8 of 35
broadld
Aspirant

I will let you know something as soon as i know. All i know now is second line support are in touch with 3rd line support to try and resolve the issue. My guess it will come in the form of a firware update.
Message 9 of 35
dxllc
Aspirant

Anything new to report?

I had to RMA my 5316 because it would auto downgrade itself after being upgraded to 2.1.2 Got the new/refurbished device and now when I try and search and find the WNDAP350s on my network it doesn't find anything.

Its really odd as sometimes the option to even hit search disappears for me, there is no longer any settings to configure Mac addresses, and one time it magically found my devices but then I got one added and configured and have been unable to add the rest.
Message 10 of 35
dxllc
Aspirant

I figured the more cases Netgear had on this issue the better. So I went ahead and called in to report this issue, the guy almost started walking me through adding Mac addresses when he then got a nudge from someone near him saying its a known problem. Or specifically he said its a known problem with Level2 support, but so far Level3 won't classify it as a firmware bug. He even said their lab unit is doing the same thing.

So my case has been added to the pile as proof its a bug. He asked that I downgrade my unit to prove that things still work right on the older firmwares. Do back on 2.0.2, added my mac address in the configuration, and it finds all my units. Of course it won't properly sync with any of my WNDAP350s that are running the latest firmware.. So i guess for now my network will not be centrally managed
Message 11 of 35
fchasseux
Aspirant

Or you can do like me.

Downgrade your AP to the V2.0.9 version
have your wsm5316 in V2.0.3 version were you can configure the MAC address.

The English support could inform the french support.
It could be best to not ask to the customer to RMA the netgear product !!
I am not happy to pay the RMA transport to get the same non working product at the end.
Message 12 of 35
broadld
Aspirant

We are resellers for Netgear and have a case open with them. It is with there level 3 engineers now!! But i have been sent a workaround. You have 2 options:-

1. You can either reset all your Access Points to factory default and then run auto discovery and it will find them all and let you add them

Auto Discovery apparently Only scans the default subnet of 192.168.0.0/24

2. IP Discovery: Must be used for any other subnet, can only scan 24 maximum at a time.When scanned, the found Access Point don’t show up, you have to click the Access Point Discovery they should show up under the Auto Discovery tab

Personally i did the first option and factory reset them all and it worked like a charm. List all access point and gives you the option to fill in the new IP address for them all!!
If i hear anything else i will pass it on

Thanks
David
Message 13 of 35
dxllc
Aspirant

Why not take over this thread with yet another post 🙂

I am still 100% convinced there is a firmware bug, the Discover feature sometimes disappears, has randomly found my devices, but more often than not left me stranded.

But in hopes of getting things running I did the following.
Downgraded back to 2.0.2 and added the mac addresses for my units.

Discover feature was working no problem except of course for the firmware conflict.

Upgraded to 2.1.2, verified Discover feature wasn't finding any of my devices yet again. At this point I noticed that when I downgraded to 2.0.2 I jacked up the config on the one access point that I had somehow got configured on the WMS5316. So I reset it to the default, and bamm, now it was discovered using the Auto Search.

So it seems the unit will find units that are freshly factory reset, but not units who have been modified. I am not sure if the only reason this worked was because I added the mac address while in the 2.0.2 config, or if it will work with others. So one by one I reset each access point and have added them to my WMS5316... The process wasn't perfect for me as I had random times where I had to reset a device more than once for everything to come up and show in sync. Def a pain in the ass, but at least I am not stuck waiting for a firmware update.
Message 14 of 35
dxllc
Aspirant

broadld wrote:
We are resellers for Netgear and have a case open with them. It is with there level 3 engineers now!! But i have been sent a workaround. You have 2 options:-

1. You can either reset all your Access Points to factory default and then run auto discovery and it will find them all and let you add them

Auto Discovery apparently Only scans the default subnet of 192.168.0.0/24

2. IP Discovery: Must be used for any other subnet, can only scan 24 maximum at a time.When scanned, the found Access Point don’t show up, you have to click the Access Point Discovery they should show up under the Auto Discovery tab

Personally i did the first option and factory reset them all and it worked like a charm. List all access point and gives you the option to fill in the new IP address for them all!!
If i hear anything else i will pass it on

Thanks
David

Dope wish I would have read this before making my post, I had started typing my message before you replied and I never went back to fresh the posts. For whatever reason Resetting each access point works, but it was a PITA, and sometimes I had to reset things more than once. Oh well, I'm all set for now so I can consider this project done despite the firmware bug.
Message 15 of 35
vmarzlin
Novice

I have a similar configuration: 1x WMS5316 -- 1x GS724TP -- 8x WNDAP350

With FW 2.0.3 on controller, I can find all AP (FW 2.0.1, 2.0.9 or 2.0.27) but only after adding OUI A0:21:B7. Anyway, the controller have authentication failure when it tries to access to AP with FW 2.0.27. AP with FW 2.0.1 et 2.0.9 synchronize successfully.

If I upgrade the controller to FW 2.1.2, I have no more the OUI menu, all AP that was synchronized stay OK, but I cannot discover/add others. If I decide to unmanage some AP, it will be no more possible to manage them after because they will no more be discovered.

In the documentation, is written that the minimal FW for WNDAP350 is 2.0.27 if the FW for controller is 2.1.2 but is never discovered.

In conclusion, [highlight]the combo that works is[/highlight]:

Hope this will help you
Message 16 of 35
dxllc
Aspirant

So after almost a month or so of no problems with my RMA replacement unit, and 2.1.2, it randomly started rebooting and eventually downgraded itself.

This is the same problem I had with my original unit where it no longer runs stable with 2.1.2. I have to believe this is a firmware issue, but I guess I could just be dealing with 2 failed units. Loosing faith in my network configuration right now that is for sure.
Message 17 of 35
JimiSweden
Aspirant

I noted a bug in the WMS firmware v2.0.3 when using IE 9 and https

When trying to discover accesspoints in "Configuration > Access Point Discovery" the main window was empty, so I tried to change to http and then I could use the "Access Point Discovery" as supposed.

In Firefox 7.0.1 both https and http works.

The same happened in both IE and Firefox when using fw 2.1.2 but I´m not 100% sure if I tried to log in with http in any of the browsers (although I am pretty sure 🙂 )

//Jimi
Message 18 of 35
CFT
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any update on this problem?

I just bought a WMS5316 with WNDAP350 accesspoints, and i get the same problem.
Message 19 of 35
rclark
Tutor

CFT wrote:
Any update on this problem?

I just bought a WMS5316 with WNDAP350 accesspoints, and i get the same problem.

+1 for an update...

I'm in the same situation and need to get a WMS5316 & a few WNDAP350's installed for a client.

-Randy
Message 20 of 35
MrRubbs
Aspirant

Hi Guys,
I've only recently joined and already wish I read these posts before agreeing to a quote for 1 x wms5316 and 8 x wndap350's, now I look after these beasts at a local school.
I fell for the mistake of upgrading the AP firmware to 2.0.27(to cure odd rebooting issue), and the settings reverting to default(what a nightmare that was!). After reconfiguring the AP's to their new IP range, they where still unmanageable by the WMS5316.
I raised a call with Netgear, very dubious about upgrading it (if it lost it's settings, I'd have more pain). On their suggestion I upgraded to 2.1.2, and managed to get 2 AP's managed.
These new firmware's have no manual OID entry screen, so when some AP's didn't show I asked again for help.
I've since been pointed towards upgrading to 2.1.4(which worked without loosing settings!), which still doesn’t have a OID entry screen, still fails to auto discover on a non-default(192...) IP range, but I now have 8 managed AP's.
It's a bit messy, but the non manageable AP's needed a factory reset, a laptop on the 192.168.0.x range was then used to reconfigure each(since they all default to 192.168.0.237 it as to be one at a time!) to the right country settings and IP range(10.xxx for me), one I'd confirmed it was OK, on to the next.
I still think we need a crib sheet for different setting scenarios, there are some rogue AP/RF settings that don't work well, these need testing by Netgear, and we the customers need to be advised, before we loose all our hair!
Best of Luck!
Dave.
Message 21 of 35
ivanlyhne
Novice

Also wating for an update 🙂
Message 22 of 35
jcollinsco
Aspirant

Bump for update. We are a reseller and I am about deploy our first WMS5316 with 3 WAPs now WNDAP350.
Message 23 of 35
mattcutting
Aspirant

I have a WMS5316 with 5 x WNAP320... This controller is terrible. Does not find access points, was rebooting all the time, managed to get 3 access points found, but the other 2... no hope. Autodiscover page blanks out in firefox and ie. Controller firmware is at 2.1.2, and AP's at 2.1.1... Where can I get this 2.1.4?

Cheers!
Message 24 of 35
ComResource
Aspirant

Hey all,
So after way too many hours of troubleshooting, we got our WMS5316 and 6 WNDAP350 WAPs configured and working on firmware v2.1.2.

I created a Word doc for our internal use, but here is what I found that works:

This document covers setting up a Netgear WMS5316 WiFi controller and a Netgear WNDAP350 WAP on firmware version 2.1.2 (both controller and WAP have the same firmware version number). The setup is very specific and will not work otherwise, so these instructions will need to be followed exactly.
1. Prepare the WMS5316
a. Download the firmware v2.1.2 from Netgear’s site
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19382/~/wms5316-firmware-version-2.1.2
b. Change your IP to be something on the 192.168.0.X subnet (other than 192.168.0.250 or 192.168.201.237)
c. Here are the defaults:
i. IP: 192.168.0.250
ii. Username: admin
iii. Password: password
d. Upgrade the firmware (“Maintenance” tab -> “Upgrade” subtab)
e. Factory Reset the WMS5316 by pressing the button on the back of the unit for several seconds. Resetting the device through the web interface will not do the trick.
f. Do the base config (change the IP address, password, VLANs, SSIDs on the controller as you see fit). I would use an internal NTP server as some of the default gateway settings on the WAPs can cause issues.
i. See additional info at the bottom of the document.
2. Prepare the WNDAP350 (Only setup one WAP at a time)
a. Download the firmware v2.1.2 from Netgear’s site
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19747/~/wndap350-firmware-version-2.1.2
b. Change your IP to be something on the 192.168.0.X subnet (other than 192.168.0.250 or 192.168.201.237)
c. Here are the defaults:
i. IP: 192.168.0.237
ii. Username: admin
iii. Password: password
d. Upgrade the firmware (“Maintenance” tab -> “Upgrade” subtab)
e. Factory Reset the WMS5316 by pressing the button on the back of the unit for several seconds. Resetting the device through the web interface will not do the trick.
f. Do nothing else with the WNDAP350. Do not change the IP, do not change the password, do not change the device VLAN, do nothing.
g. Make sure that the WAP is on the same physical/virtual network (VLAN) as the controller. The subnets may not match between the controller and WAP, but that is what we need. The simplest way to achieve this is to just plug the WAP into the controller port.
3. Join the WNDAP350 to the WMS5316
a. Log onto the web interface of the WMS5316. On the “Configuration” tab -> “Access Point Discovery” subtab, click the “Search” button.
b. You should now see the WAP. It should show as a WNDAP350, an IP of 192.168.0.237, and a place to put a new IP address in. Check the box beside the WAP and enter the new IP address for it.
c. Click “Add” and after about a minute or two, it should show in the “Configuration” tab -> “Access Point Groups” subtab.
d. You can now edit the WAP, buy making sure that the WAP is selected and clicking the “Edit” button.
i. Name
ii. Password
iii. Group
iv. Default Gateway (Leave this blank)
v. Untagged VLAN (if needed)
vi. Management VLAN (if needed)
e. The WAP may disconnect for a few seconds, but it will reconnect. The changes that were made here, will apply to the WAP itself, including password.
f. If you have additional WAPs to setup, then go back to step 2 and complete this document before adding a 3rd, 4th, etc. You must only do one WAP at a time.

Additional Info:
• I had better luck using only the “Basic” group on the controller than using “Advanced” groups
• Sometimes the one of the SSIDs that you can configure on the controller doesn’t propagate to the WAPs, so you may need to log onto each WAP and manually configure this SSID.
• Turn off “WMM Powersave” in the QoS settings. This can cause disconnections of devices and perceived slowness.
• I left the “Load Balancing” feature off as it seemed to cause issues with disconnects. This may have only affected older firmwares through.
• Once all of the WAPs are setup, I would recommend running the “Channel Allocation” to autodetect the best channels for the WAPs to be on. I had to run it twice to get the best config.
• Firmware v2.0.9 on the WNDAP350 had issues where the MAC address would randomly change between the Ethernet MAC address and the 2.4Ghz MAC address as well as cause tons of disconnects and lag and does not allow Apple (Mac) devices to connect with stability (so I've heard).
• Firmware v2.0.3 on the WMS5316 makes you type the first 6 hexadecimal characters of the MAC address (OUI) in the controller before it detects the WAPs.

I hope this helps!
Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7