× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trouble to stay connected with EX8000 extender

LitaG
Tutor

Trouble to stay connected with EX8000 extender

Hi, 

I just bought Nighthawk Mesh X6S Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender (EX8000) last week and set it up. The signal light is solid white and when my devices are connected, it works perfectly.

But I notice one thing very strange. For devices that connected to our wifi BEFORE the existence of this extender, their connection to this extender is very unreliable. I need to reset the connection (for example turn the extender off and re-connect to it) at least everyday. But for new devices (yesterday I purchased a ROKU TV to put into the room that used to be a signal dead spot, because I thought the extender finally fixed it), the connection is very solid. I was watching Netflix without any problem while my phone's wifi setting stucks at "Obtaining IP address" for two hours.

So...it seems it is the Seamleass Roaming function of this extender isn't working right... 

Does anyone have the same problem? Any solutions? Thank you very much!!!

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 11
Lightdrops2018
Aspirant

I would expect a little better operator instructions for this pricey unit.
Message 2 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @LitaG,

Welcome to the community!

1. What is the firmware version of the extender?

2. Have you tried changing the wireless channel of the main router?

3. Does the issue (i.e. unable to obtain IP) persist on all the devices before the extender was added?

4. Are you using the One WiFi name feature (which may make it difficult to immediately identify where devices are currently connected)?

5. Does the issue persist if you have One WiFI name disabled (if you have it enabled)?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 11
LitaG
Tutor

Hi Dexter,

Thank you very much for your response. 

1. Yesterday I upgraded from version 1.0.0.126 to 1.0.1.164. don't know whether it will change much yet. Need more testing tonight. 

2. I haven't tried changing the wireless channel of the main router. I think currently the 2.4 ghz is channel 1 and 5 ghz is 14X something. How would you recommend to change them to?

3. Before the extender was added, we never had this problem. 

4. we are using one WIFI name feature, but I am going to try to disable it tonight to see whether it will make any difference. 

5. I will keep updating this post. Hope everything works out. 

Thanks!

Lita

Message 4 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @LitaG,

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 11
janepoole
Guide

I have same problem
Just started aFew weeks ago
i have verified latest firmware on Extender
frustrated
Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 6 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @janepoole,

If you have just updated the firmware of the extender, please make sure that a factory reset is done.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 11
janepoole
Guide

it was already up to date and i have done several factory resets.
from what im reading on other models it seems to be a 2.3 issue which we all need for various reasons
is it possible latest firmware has bugs?
Netgear needs to make this "right" or i may look for another brand
Message 8 of 11
janepoole
Guide

Kudos to Netgear!  I chose Netgear several years ago when i bought my router, and then again last year when i bought my extender

They have "restored" my faith in their tech support and service.  Im currently working with their support to resolve my issues

Thank you Netgear for hearing my "issues" and contacting me!  

Much appreciated!!

Message 9 of 11
LitaG
Tutor

Hi,

I ended up returning the extender. After changing to using another wifi name for the extender, all devices can connect to it, but the connection kept dropping every 20 minutes. I guess that room is just too far away from the router. Maybe we will have to move the router location and buy orbi eventually to have whole house internet. 

Thanks for the response. 

Lita

Message 10 of 11
BaDCrC
Tutor

Same problem here, paired to a AC4000 Nighthawk X6S. Wifi connexion reliability is horrible and drops every 30 seconds at best for my tablets, and my voice assistants are regularly announcing that "they have problem with the internet". I updated to the latest firmware, but things are the same. I do have the same name option checked. Is this coming from there?

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7