× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to figure out what products to buy for the networks I need.

eveningdarkstar
Aspirant

Trying to figure out what products to buy for the networks I need.

Hello, this is my first posting so I dunno this forum's rules and etiquette for what info is needed/presented or how to post, so please forgive me if I make mistakes.

I have been given a set of 5 public IPv4 address, xxx.xxx.xxx.17/29, and I want to assign these to each of my 5 computers. Two of these computers are located adjacent to where the incoming cat6 cable from my ISP is and I could simply use a switch to extend my external network to these 2 systems. I would then assign two of my pool of public IP address to these two computers. The complication arises because the other three computers are in remote locations and cannot be reached by a cable.

Also, FYI, effectively I only have two locations to worry about. The two computers, located where the incoming cable from my ISP, also have a local area private net 192.168.10.0/24 that they share. Ditto for the 3 remote computers, they too are also connected to their own local private net 192.168.20.0/24

In other words I want my external network to look like this -

Home network:

Incoming cable from ISP with a gateway public address of xxx.xxx.xxx.17 connected to one of the LAN ports of a 5 port Switch
Computer A which has a NIC assigned to static public address of xxx.xxx.xxx.18 connected to one of the LAN ports of a 5 port Switch.
Computer B which has a NIC assigned to static public address of xxx.xxx.xxx.19 connected to one of the LAN ports of a 5 port Switch.
A NetGear-WiFi device connected via it's first cat6 port, to one of the LAN ports of a 5 port Switch but does not require an IP address from my pool of 5 public addresses I own. This device is for extending my public network, via WiFi, to each of my remote computers. Let's call this device NG_Device A. If NG_Device A had a second cat-6 port for control and configure functions only, that didn't need an IP address from the external network, that I want to extend across the Wifi link, I could then assign a private LAN address to it.

Remote Network:
A NetGear-WiFi device connected to NG_Device A, via Wifi. Let's call this device NG_Device B. Like NG_Device A, If NG_Device B had a second cat-6 port for control and configure functions, that didn't need an IP address from the external network that I want to extend, I could then assign a private LAN address to it also.
A second 5 port Switch connected to the first cat6 port of NG-Device B.
Computer C which has a NIC assigned to static public address of xxx.xxx.xxx.20 connected to one of the LAN ports of the second 5 port switch
Computer D which has a NIC assigned to static public address of xxx.xxx.xxx.21 connected to one of the LAN ports of the second 5 port switch
Computer E which has a NIC assigned to static public address of xxx.xxx.xxx.22 connected to one of the LAN ports of the second 5 port switch

I am by no means a network expert but this setup seems like it should be easily doable! But I cannot puzzle out what to purchase and how to go about setting up the the NG_Device A and B devices to accomplish this! Nor can I grok whether I can assign a private IP address to each device while configuring it to handle/extend the external network. Conceptually I want a WiFi link that acts like a simple dumb cable! Can you help me to choose what NetGear devices I need to purchase and explain how to configure them? It seems to me that each of the devices I am going to purchase will require at least 2 cat6 cable connections each? I looked at NetGear WiFi Extenders, but they only have 1 cat6 port, and I dunno how I can accomplish what I want to do with my limited set of public IP addresses. Maybe I have the wrong idea about how networks are extended across WiFi links, but this should give you the gist of what I want to accomplish. Thanks in advance and appreciate any and all suggestions!

Marc...

Message 1 of 4
Lizaalice012
Aspirant

Re: Trying to figure out what products to buy for the networks I need.

To achieve your network setup, use a Netgear router with VPN capabilities at the main location, connecting computers A and B directly.

For the remote location, deploy a Netgear Wi-Fi range extender with an additional switch for computers C, D, and E. Assign private IPs within your LANs, and configure VPN on the router for secure connectivity. Ensure the Netgear devices support VPN and multiple Ethernet ports. Refer to Netgear documentation for specific configurations.

Message 2 of 4
myabrownn
Aspirant

Welcome to the forum! Your plan seems feasible. To achieve this, consider getting NetGear routers that support VPN or bridge mode. For NG_Device A, ensure it has the capability to extend the network over WiFi and has a second port for configuration. NG_Device B can then connect to NG_Device A over WiFi and extend the network via its second port.

For NG_Device A:

NetGear router with VPN or bridge mode
Ensure it has a second port for configuration
For NG_Device B:

NetGear router with VPN or bridge mode
Connect to NG_Device A over WiFi
Ensure it has a second port for configuration
This setup should allow you to extend your network across WiFi effectively.

Message 3 of 4
eveningdarkstar
Aspirant

Thanks Myabrownn for your response, I appreciate it. I took your advice and tried to find routers that support both VPN and also has a second IPv4 port for configuration. While some routers say they do support VPN, I could not find any that support a second IPv4 port for configuration. The Nighthawk® AX4 4G LTE Modem + WiFi 6 Router (LAX20) seems to be the closest, but what it has is 1 WLAN port, and 4 LAN ports. I am not sure if this meets the requirements for controlling the router from one of these ports while extending my external network with the other port.

I am going to take a guess on how to configure a router to handle my network requirements but I don't feel confident about this. My guess is to configure my external IP address as if they were on the LAN and WiFi side of the router, and connect a cable from my internal private network to the WLAN port and thus give the router a private internal address. Seems like that is backwards to the normal way a WiFi router is set up. I am thinking this must be the right way because the WiFi side of the router only wants to extend what it considers is the LAN? Is that correct?

You have also mentioned using a VPN to accomplish my goal. I do not grok how to use a VPN to extend my pool of public IPv4 addresses across the WiFi link, can you explain in more detail how I would configure a VPN?

Also, I would appreciate hearing what specific NetGear products will serve my network needs?

Thanks again for yours or anyone else who cares to jump in with helpful suggestions... Marc...

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series