× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to set up WN2500RP with blu-ray, to Home WiFi.

MamaBear2016
Aspirant

Trying to set up WN2500RP with blu-ray, to Home WiFi.

A few years ago, I switched our home wifi from 2.4 GHz over to 5 GHz, as the neighborhood was getting crowded here in the west Denver area, with low band home wifi's.

So we had two PC's hooked up to wifi via Comcast high speed internet and an Asus high powered wifi router.

The problem was that I didn't want to keep my blu ray player on low band either. So at the time, I bought a TP-Link TL-WA890EA and it was a snap to plug it into my blu ray player via ethernet cable and get it humming on 5 GHz with the home wifi, which it's been doing ever since.

My sister, at the far end of the house, had an older blu ray player and was using a Roku box at the time, so we left that.

But now she wanted a new blu ray, so we decided to dump the Roku box, as it's kind of a pain anyway.

So I just picked up a new blu ray player and looked for another TP-Link, but they were discontinued. ( WHY?! )

So I was told that this WN2500RP is the closest replacement for the TP-Link, and bought one at the same time as the player.

So now, I'm going to install them. I hook up the blu ray to the TV with HDMI, then plug an ethernet from the blu ray to the WN2500 and fire everything up.

But when I did that a few years ago with the TP-Link, I recall it showing me a menu with local wifi sets that I could log into. I picked mine, entered the login info for WPA and it was on the air.

But with this one, no such luck. I don't see it showing up in any blu ray player menus, to log into my wifi with.

This is the closest replacement for the TP-Link, right? Does the same thing?

Because I'm not seeing anything in the PDF manual hookup diagrams for hooking it up this way.

Model: WN2500RPv2|N600 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

The first thing you need to do is to join the WN2500RP to your existing Wi-Fi network.  You can't do that from the Blu-Ray player's setup menus.  Either use the WPS method or a laptop/smartphone.  

After you have completed the join, connect the Blu-Ray player to one of the WN2500RP's Ethernet ports and set the Blu-Ray player to wired mode.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The closest replacement is probably the WNCE3001.  The WN2500RP should, however, still work.  You can use the WPS method to join the WN2500RP to your existing Wi-Fi network, as documented on page 11 in the manual.  Or you can use a laptop or, possibly, a smartphone to connect to the WN2500RP's Wi-Fi signal, NETGEAR_EXT, and proceed to join it to your existing Wi-Fi network by following the setup prompts.

Message 2 of 9
MamaBear2016
Aspirant

I've been trying all afternoon, to connect via the blu ray's internet setup menus. The blu ray sees the netgear unit, but it gives options of connecting wire or wireless and both have failed. I put in the password etc, using the stupid tedious on screen keyboard, and it fails.

The problem is that if it tries to connect with wireless, it may be using the blu ray radio at 2.4 GHz but that takes a different password AND I have the 2.4 GHz radio turned off. Only the 5 GHz is on.

But I'm trying to use the wireless connection of the netgear, which is plugged into the ethernet port of the blu ray, so it's confusing.

I've been at this all afternoon and am frustrated with it, especially putting the password in over & over and having it fail.

Also something about IPV 6.

I saw something about the netgear Genie for PC and downloaded it on my PC here, and it says everything is fine, but I think it's just looking at the complete picture from my PC, which is connected to the wifi fine. It's the blu ray I'm going crazy with. Genie also sees the Netgear box but I'm not sure if I can configure it and get it working from Genie, here on my PC.

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

The first thing you need to do is to join the WN2500RP to your existing Wi-Fi network.  You can't do that from the Blu-Ray player's setup menus.  Either use the WPS method or a laptop/smartphone.  

After you have completed the join, connect the Blu-Ray player to one of the WN2500RP's Ethernet ports and set the Blu-Ray player to wired mode.

Message 4 of 9
MamaBear2016
Aspirant

I think I just remembered something. Do I need to connect this unit via ethernet, to my PC, THEN put the password into this unit and connect to my home wifi, and only then hook it up to the blu ray player and use it as a wired connection? Will the password then reside in this unit, instead of in the blu ray player? Or does the password stay in my PC anyway and render this useless?

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Yes, connecting your PC to the unit via Ethernet, then entering your existing Wi-Fi network's password is one of the two methods I already mentioned.   The password stays in the unit.

The other method is to use WPS.  This is all described in the manual.  I suggest you read it, starting from page 11.

Message 6 of 9
MamaBear2016
Aspirant

@TheEther wrote:

I just tried that from my laptop, by plugging the WN2500RP into the ethernet port on my laptop, then configuring the laptop with the password. It's saying that it's connecting but not able to use the internet.

I'm frustrated. Cant seem to get the WN2500RP to work with my home wifi.

Message 7 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Since you have chosen to use a laptop to set up the WN2500RP, follow the instructions starting on page 13.  Here is a direct link.

Message 8 of 9
MamaBear2016
Aspirant

Ok, I went and switched it over to my PC and clicked the link in the manual, THEN I remembered how it had to be set up on the other one. I set it up with password etc though my PC, then it worked perfectly.

I took it back to the blu ray, plugged it in and set it for wired, and it worked! Yay! I configured Netflix, then the whole menu of other services popped up in the screen. Yay!

Thanks guys!

Sorry to bother you, it was just a few years ago when I did this in my room, and I didn't remember.

DO you want to delete the thread here?

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7