× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Turn off blue dome light!? FIXED!

Wingnutt
Aspirant

Turn off blue dome light!?

I just purchased a WNDR3400 and right out of the box the stupid blue dome light is ON.

I read tapping it will turn it off, this does not work, tapping it makes it blink for about two minutes, then it stays on solid again.

How do I turn turn it OFF!?
Message 1 of 18
Wingnutt
Aspirant

Re: Turn off blue dome light!?

From the FAQ:

How do I turn off the flashing blue lights?

The Wireless-N Dual Band Router has 8 blue lights in the dome which illustrate the activity of the 8 internal antennas. The lights are not required however, and customers can choose to turn them off simply by pushing the dome down lightly.

THIS DOES NOT WORK.

all tapping the dome does is make the stupid thing flash for a few min, then it stays on again.
Message 2 of 18
Wingnutt
Aspirant

Well since everything I read said to tap the button to turn if off, and that did not work, I went ahead and took a screw driver and ripped the dome off and busted out all the LEDs.

Typical Netgear piece of shit, what was I thinking.
Message 3 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I have read someone who recently posted said about recent firmware version have kill the this function.

I would contact support at my.netgear.com on this issues. for the meantime, cover up with black tape will your solutions
Message 4 of 18

I have had this product WNDR3400 for 3 months, now the dome light will not respond as the manual describes. It used to turn off as instructed, after last firmware upload, any tap will initialize the Auto Registar mode. I am NOT happy as I cannot rid this pesky lamp. Any feedback is welcome.:mad:
Message 5 of 18
bnaaden77
Novice

Same result as previous poster. Have V1 and upgraded to most recent router firmware upgrade. When I press and release (about 1 second or less), it flashes in steady state for about 2 min (WPS session?) and then returns to normal state mirroring wireless activity. Do we have to downgrade to older firmware to fix this? :eek:
Message 6 of 18
foxeye1
Novice

Pleased to know (to some extent) that I am not the only one suffering from this infuriating problem and suffer exactly the same problems as previous correspondents. Router is WNDR3400 model, one month old, latest firmware downloaded so that any pressing of the dome puts it into immediate WPS mode.

Appreciate it could be covered with black tape but this is hardly a solution. Technical support is poor to say the least and as this is my second Netgear product, I am becoming less impressed each day that passes.

Right, gripe over but if anyone can offer a solution, I for one would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance
Message 7 of 18
kblackw
Tutor

just uploaded firmware 1.0.0.50 in my wndr3400. original firmware was 1.0.0.38. used to be able to turn off blue lights by pressing dome button. now, pressing dome button causes blue lights to blink. same result as everyone else here. at least the router still works - the blue leds, even though they show antenna selection, are not useful to me. so much for software QA.
Message 8 of 18
scvenne
Aspirant

FIXED. I had the same problem and all I did was go to the WNDR3400 page on netgear and dowloaded the previous firmware version 1.00.38. Go to http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/13608 (or applicable page if the address has changed) click on the tab labeled DOWNLOADS then click on SHOW ALL VERSIONS then select a previous firmware version of your choice. I selected one version prior to .50 which happens to be .38. Then just simply print and follow the instructions!! Enjoy
Message 9 of 18
nkn56
Aspirant

C'mon, Netgear! Is this customer service? This thread is over 6 months old and we still can't turn off the silly light! :mad:
Message 10 of 18
Borthalomew
Guide

scvenne wrote:
FIXED. I had the same problem and all I did was go to the WNDR3400 page on netgear and dowloaded the previous firmware version 1.00.38. Go to http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/13608 (or applicable page if the address has changed) click on the tab labeled DOWNLOADS then click on SHOW ALL VERSIONS then select a previous firmware version of your choice. I selected one version prior to .50 which happens to be .38. Then just simply print and follow the instructions!! Enjoy

Just registered so I could post a quick thanks to both scvenne and Netgear! Rolling back the firmware update allowed me to turn off the series of 8 exceptionally bright and unnecessary LEDs. AND... drumroll please...

:eek::eek::eek: I'm now sporting ~10Mbps in download speed above any prior speed tests ever! :eek::eek::eek:

I recommend everyone roll back, and definitely post here if you're seeing any lift in speed. :cool:

Thanks goes to Netgear for hosting old versions of their firmware!
Message 11 of 18
nanobot
Aspirant

I had this same problem. After several months after upgrading to 1.00.50, my router suddenly started doing exactly as was described: led antenna indicators flashed. When I depressed the dome light, it blinked repeatedly for a few minutes and did not shut off.

At the suggestion of scvenne, I downdraged to 1.00.38. I successfully shut off the dome lights. Then, I upgraded back to 1.00.50 and the lights stayed off. So if you want the latest firmware and to have the lights off, you will have to downgrade first and then re-upgrade. Note that for this to work, I had to downgrade first. Simply re-flashing the 1.00.50 firmware on top of itself did not work.

I did not notice a change in speed as Borthalomew noted upon downgrading or re-upgrading. I will repost if the lights come on again. Ok, now I will get back to life. Thanks for the thread, all.

~~~~nanobot
Message 12 of 18
nanobot
Aspirant

nanobot wrote:
I had this same problem. After several months after upgrading to 1.00.50, my router suddenly started doing exactly as was described: led antenna indicators flashed. When I depressed the dome light, it blinked repeatedly for a few minutes and did not shut off.

At the suggestion of scvenne, I downdraged to 1.00.38. I successfully shut off the dome lights. Then, I upgraded back to 1.00.50 and the lights stayed off. So if you want the latest firmware and to have the lights off, you will have to downgrade first and then re-upgrade. Note that for this to work, I had to downgrade first. Simply re-flashing the 1.00.50 firmware on top of itself did not work.

I did not notice a change in speed as Borthalomew noted upon downgrading or re-upgrading. I will repost if the lights come on again. Ok, now I will get back to life. Thanks for the thread, all.

~~~~nanobot

Ok, after posting this message, the repeat blinking pattern would start every 10 minutes or so and then stop. I went to the router manager > Advanced > Wireless Settings and under WPS Settings, placed a check in the box labeled Disable Router's PIN. (note, no other changes were made). This effectively disabled WPS mode, which I do not use. The router has not lit up since. If you use WPS, you might need to stick with the old firmware.

~~~~nanobot
Message 13 of 18
MichaelaHill
Aspirant

I would like to turn it off, but my concern is the indicator lights on the front of my WNDR2400 N600. They blink irregularly and only the "1" lights up; 2,3, and 4 stay dark. What does this mean and what can I do?
Message 14 of 18
nanobot
Aspirant

nanobot wrote:
Ok, after posting this message, the repeat blinking pattern would start every 10 minutes or so and then stop. I went to the router manager > Advanced > Wireless Settings and under WPS Settings, placed a check in the box labeled Disable Router's PIN. (note, no other changes were made). This effectively disabled WPS mode, which I do not use. The router has not lit up since. If you use WPS, you might need to stick with the old firmware.

~~~~nanobot

Update 10/10/2012:

After about a week, the flashing started up again. Downgraded the firmware to v.38
Message 15 of 18
dborja
Aspirant

nanobot wrote:

~~~~nanobot

Thanks nanobot! This worked like a charm! I was about to go with the duct tape route but I didn't like how tacky that solution was (pun intended). 😛
Message 16 of 18
mailiang
Aspirant

To disable the WPS when this issue occurs, disable the SSID. Then reboot your computer. You will now have to manually input your id and password to access your network. Open your browser and router utility (Netgear Genie) and enable the SSID again. Your WPS willl remain off unless you turn it back on using the WPS wizard set up utility. You can now push on the router's WPS button and turn the light on or off.

Ian 😉
Message 17 of 18
acogshot
Initiate

So for some reason my router reverts to factory settings every now and then. I have no idea why, but it happens so rarely, I just accept the fact and reconfigure it.

I do always have one big problem though. The blue dome lights. Annoying as hell!

Up until now I had just prodded and poked until eventually the damn thing went off, but I have always checked online and never found a solution before, as I assume when people get it to turn off, they just close their browser and get on with their lives.

So this time, I actually made note of what I did and I am gonna post a run through of procedures and outcomes, so it might hopefully help someone else who has this issue.

Press the dome down for longer than 5 seconds = Enables the wireless access thing for a couple of minutes. This just makes the light flash on and off for a short while before returning to normal.

Press the dome lightly once = Apparently this was the answer before the firmware updated, and I can confirm that it no longer works. It does nothing.

Press the dome lightly twice in a row
= This was just pure guess work, I had hoped that the key might be simplicity, but it appeared to do nothing.

Press the dome lightly three times in a row
= The light went off.

I have to admit, I have left the damn thing alone since it went off, so I haven't double checked to see if it works, but it appears to have done the trick.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7