× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two routers on one network netgear setup

smodnoc
Follower

Two routers on one network netgear setup

I have just installed my R7800 and I wondered if I could use my old D7000 at the same time in slightly different locations in my house. My walls are a metre thick and I have three floors so I need all the help I can get with the routers. Any thoughts regarding a two router configuration would be appreciated

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router,R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Two routers on one network netgear setup

If you can get ethernet to another part of your home, you can use the D7000 as an access point.  Instructions are on page 112 of your user manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7000/D7000_UM_EN.pdf

If ethernet is not available, then you could use powerline networking to extend ethernet - for example the PLP2000 product.  There's also a PLPW1000 which has a WiFi powerline module.  It's not quite as capable as the PLP2000+D7000 would be.  But if you need multiple WiFi access points to cover your home, deploying multiple PLPW1000s might be a good way to do that.  You'd only need one ethernet-only device at the router.  The real-world powerline speed does depend on the house wiring.

Getting a triband extender like the EX8000 is another option - but if your interior walls are a metre thick, it is probably not the best solution for you.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7