× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access / login to EX6200

TednetExtender
Initiate

Unable to access / login to EX6200

I received a Netgear email advising about updating firmware for security issues. Though I'd been able to previously update firmware (2017), this time I was not able to sign in to the extender at www.mywifiext.net - I followed the instructions, connected the EX6200 directly to my laptop, put in the admin & password on the screen and got a message that the username and password don't match. NO option to reset password is available - it's just a dead screen. Thus, if my current recorded password isn't accepted, I can never access the router's internal menu to update firmware, change the password, etc. I "reset" the EX6200 router, went through all the setup carefully, and again, upon connecting the device to the laptop, was STILL unable to use admin-password to access the device.

This has been a collossal waste of time -  an expensive device produced by a multi-billion dollar corporation provides detailed instructions, and has a firmware update, but the device is unaccessible.

Other than buying a new device, what other steps might there be?

Model: EX6200|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
Rinja
Initiate

Re: Unable to access / login to EX6200

so this happen to you too huh...... might has **bleep** the bed too after an update

Message 2 of 7
srccook
Initiate

I'm having the same problem but with a different spin. When I logon to http://www.mywifiext.net I'm taken to a Netgear "New Extender Setup" page that then takes me to a "Netgear Genie" page asking me to create an account even though I already have one. I can't even get to the Netgear page to where the option to click on "Maintenance > Firmware Update" exists. Apparently Netgear's web pages don't function correctly so attempting to update my wife extender's firmware has been a total waste of time. Hopefully, not updating my extender's firmware won't adversy affect my home network. However, since Netgear seems unable (or unwilling) to take their customer's security seriously by providing them with access to software patches that actually work, I plan on looking elsewhere the next time I need to purchase a router, wifi extender or any other product sold by Netgear.

Message 3 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Did you try to use a different web browser or use the IP address of the extender in the web browser?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 7
TednetExtender
Initiate

Yes, I used both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Also tried the IP address 198.x.y.z.

The EX6200 was directly connected via ethernet cable.

I got to the router login screen, but as noted above admin & password were not accepted.

And as noted, it's a dead screen.

The router still works, but as noted I therefore cannot update the firmware.

What magic do I need to be able to do a simple firmware update?

Message 5 of 7
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @TednetExtender,

Use the e-mail address and password that you provided while setting up the extender to access it's interface.

Message 6 of 7
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @srccook,

You must create an account as it suggested and login to it to perform firmware upgrade. I'm afraid if you represent my.netgear.com account which has no relation to account which you create for extender login. This is just to secure your device's login access with an e-mail and password which is not releated to my.netgear.com account.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7