× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to configure EX3700 to use WPA2-AES

thingtwo
Initiate

Unable to configure EX3700 to use WPA2-AES

Hello,

I followed the instruction manual, but couldn't figure out one seemingly simple step. I've connected my router to the extended via WPS. I can connect via 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. The extender is not connected through WPA2-AES. It connects through one of the older encryption standards, WPA2-PSK. I've read that this extender supports AES. How do I configure it? I didn't see an option to do so during setup. While it works, it works over an older more vulnerable security standard.

Thanks.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Unable to configure EX3700 to use WPA2-AES

What method is the router using? If setup using wps, it should use the same encryption the router uses. 

Message 2 of 4
thingtwo
Initiate

Thanks for checking. That would be logical. However, my router is configured to use WPA2-PSK [AES]. The extender is on the older standard. My devices throw a security warning when connected to the extender. Router has always been fine and no security warnings.

I went to mywifiext . net, and I'd think the configuration should be buried somewhere in the menus, but I didn't see it. Do you know how to get to the setting in the menu?

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

What device is giving you a security warning? 

In the device settings for the extender, what does it show for the extender security method? 

https://www.howtogeek.com/204697/wi-fi-security-should-you-use-wpa2-aes-wpa2-tkip-or-both/

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7