× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to setup router after factory reset

hanlsha1
Aspirant

Unable to setup router after factory reset

Attempted to reset my Netgear WiFi router extender.  Inserted a paper clip in back and waited for power LED to blink.

Tried to connect the extender to my router using two options:

(1) Using WPS button on both the extender as well as the router.  Please note that I have confirmed that my router is using WPA-2 security and not WEP. After using the WPS button, the LED blinks on both the extender as well as the router and eventually resulted with the router LED turning red and the extender LED going away.

(2) Using the web browser(http://mywifiext.net), followed steps prompted by Netgear Genie.  Attempted to connect to home router following steps however, unable to provide the correct passphrase. Decided to skip this step and continue with connection. Connection was completed successfully, according to Netgear Genie and then attempted to connect wireless devices to the extender, however all of these attempts have been unsuccessful.

Need help in either identifying how I can identify the required passphrase or how I can set up my extender as a brand new extender to my existing home router.

Thank you.

Sharon H.

Model: WN2500RP|Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

You need to connect to the router's wifi.  If WPS is failing and you don't know the passphrase, then the next step is to log into the router's web ui and look at it there.

Message 2 of 10
hanlsha1
Aspirant

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion.  Please note that I did log into my router's web UI and used the password from it to log in and try to connect my extender to the router, however, unsuccessful. 

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@hanlsha1 wrote:

Please note that I did log into my router's web UI and used the password from it to log in and try to connect my extender to the router, however, unsuccessful. 

Understood.  You can try another extender reset, and try the web router setup again - sticking with the router connection until you get past that step.

What security mode is your main router using? WPA2?

Message 4 of 10
hanlsha1
Aspirant

I have tried several factory resets of the extender and each attempt to log onto the router have been unsuccessful.  To your knowledge, is there any other way to pair my extender to my router?

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@hanlsha1 wrote:

To your knowledge, is there any other way to pair my extender to my router?

There are only two ways - WPS and the web browser setup.

You could try reinstalling the extender firmware (of course you'll need to manually download it first, since the extender isn't connecting to the internet).

Message 6 of 10
hanlsha1
Aspirant

If possible, please provide the steps for me to follow to reinstall the extender firmware.

Thank you in advance.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Which version of the WN2500RP do you have?  The original WN2500RP or the WN2500RPv2

Message 8 of 10
hanlsha1
Aspirant

I have the original, WN2500RP.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@hanlsha1 wrote:

I have the original, WN2500RP.

See page 24 of http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN2500RP/WN2500RP_UM_9Nov12.pdf

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7