× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unknown Device Connected

Willyou
Tutor

Unknown Device Connected

According to my WNR2000v3 admin pages there is an unknown device connected. The MAC address of the unknown device does not match any of the devices I own including the DSL modem and the router itself. I have reset the pass phrases for the admin pages, and for wireless log-on (using WPA2-PSK security), and the guest connection is off. What could this unknown device be and is there anyway to find out information about it?
Message 1 of 3
Willyou
Tutor

I solved my own problem. One of the devices I have is a wireless internet capable blueray player. It didn't occur to me that it could be the "unknown device" because it is turned off except when in use. I discovered that even though it is turned off, as long as it is plugged in it is connected and shows in the list of connected devices. So. Problem solved.
Thanks
Message 2 of 3
marcodif
Initiate

It's best to use the device access list in addition to your password. The device access list allows you to specify the MAC address of each device that's allowed access to your network. This works as a two way security. If someone knows you network password it wont matter if their MAC address is not listed on you device access list. Dont forget to backup your settings so that you can recover everything in the event the router gets a factory reset (my teenager has done this before!).
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7