× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unknown device logging onto network

SuzB
Aspirant

Unknown device logging onto network

I have devices detected on my network. Since my password is not shared, is this a vulnerable point on the Mesh Extender? There was chatter online about this issue but I do not know how to solve.

Thanks for any advice.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SuzB,

Welcome to the community!

1. How are you checking for the detected devices?

2. Please make sure that your router and extender admin UI passwords were changed from their defaults.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 5
SuzB
Aspirant

I have an Xfinity app that tells me when new devices are on network. I delete or pause anything I do not recognize. This one was obvious since it was a Playstation. I thought that I added passwords but I cannot check them online. The password section on the General tab will not let me check the show password box. I accessed the general page from the status page.

Thanks,

sb

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@SuzB wrote:

I have an Xfinity app that tells me when new devices are on network.

Devices connected to the extender network will usually look "new" to the router.  That's because most extenders map the device's MAC address to a "virtual" MAC address on the extender->router link.  That makes it easier for the extender to route the traffic.

Message 4 of 5
jeff0519
Aspirant

According to my tech guy when you are asked to allow changes click no. Usually, it appears in command prompt.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7