× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unreliable Speed and Connection through Access Point

logicalpsycho
Follower

Unreliable Speed and Connection through Access Point

Hello everyone,

I have a Nighthawk R7000P as my primary router one one side of my apartment. This is connected through the walls via cat6 to my WAC104 access point at the other end of my apartment, since the R7000P is not strong enough on its own. The WAC104 AP is very new.

The R7000P has two separate SSIDs for 5 and 2.4ghz. We'll call them wifi5 and wifi24. The AP has two SSIDs as well - the 5ghz is different than the router, but the 2.4ghz is the same. We'll call them wifi5office and wifi24.

For some reason, connecting to wifi5office has been very wonky for the past couple of days. On Ookla speed tests, the speed test will sometimes not even run, and just sits on "Finding optimal server" indefinitely. When it does run, pings are very high, and speeds are low (~.1mpbs to 3mbps despite a 600mbps connection). Speeds on the primary router will be high and consistent when this happens. Speeds to my PC that is wired to the AP are also high and consistent (300mbps+). So it seems to be an issue with the wifi5office network in particular.

What could be going on? There are a few things I imagine may be causing issues, such as Channel overlap, or DHCP problems, etc. The router and AP are both set to automatic channel selection, and it seems like channel overlap wouldn't have such a drastic effect on the network performace. I have the AP set as a DHCP client to receive IP address from the router. I could set it up for a static IP, but I don't see how that would change anything outside of making administration (ie logging into the AP) a bit more consistent.

As I've been writing this, I've been running speed tests on the AP wifi5office network. It was hanging up/running at less than 5mbps, then I had a couple tests above 150mbps, and now as I'm about to send this, it's back down to < 2. Attaching this most recent result to this thread.

Any ideas? 

Model: WAC104|Dual Band 802.11ac 
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7