× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded to wifi modem and can't reconnect extender

ajs61
Aspirant

Upgraded to wifi modem and can't reconnect extender

I upgraded my service and the ISP sent me a new wireless modem, which we connect to with their proprietary name. When I try to reconnect my EX6100 (which worked with the old modem/router combination), I can't connect using the buttons, even with the units right beside each other. The modem does have a WPS button, but nothing happens when I press the extender button followed by the modem button. I also can't connect to either default network listed in the Netgear instructions since they don't show up on my access list, although the 2G/5G ones from our old networe k name do. So, I can't get into the genie. I already tried the factory reset but was unsuccessful -- I can't get the router link or the client link to light up, only the power and WPS lights.

What is the problem -- is it hardware incompatibility? I'm stumped. And frustrated.

Message 1 of 5
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgraded to wifi modem and can't reconnect extender

It’s not entirely clear if you can see the extender WiFi signals in a WiFi scan from your computer, can you? If you can are you able to make a connection at all, or do you see something like a partial connection (no IP address allocated)?
Message 2 of 5
ajs61
Aspirant

I'm running Windows 7, and when I open my network & sharing centre I see only the available networks in my area, including my new connection and the names of 2G & 5G we set up when we got Netflix with the old system, which don't connect to anything right now.

When the unit is plugged in, I don't see the Netgear default networks at all, since my extender is not speaking to my modem. I have internet just fine, but I can't get the extender to see it. When I originally installed this extender, using the same computers and ISP but a different modem which required a router, I was able to connect the EX6100 using the "button" method. This hasn't worked with my new wifi modem which has the router incorporated in it.

All of which is why I was wondering if the EX6100 is the wrong hardware for my needs. If it is, I may be able to return it, and get one that's suitable. The new modem from Primus is a Smart rg, SR505n, 802.1 ln VDSL2 gatweay.

In the meantime, we're operating at a higher speed at one end of the house, but the signal at the other end is poor and in fact worse than before we upgraded our connection. I also plan to talk with the ISP of course, but hoped someone here might be able to suggest something.
Message 3 of 5
ajs61
Aspirant

I guess the issue is moot, now. I traded in my Netgear unit for a Linksys one, which is compatible with my new modem. The only way I was ever going to be able to use the Netgear one appeared to be to plug in my old router again and set up using that, which seemed pointless given the new unit does both. The WPS button on the new modem was disabled, apparently due to security issues, according to my ISP. This, plus the fact that the 2G/5G networks wouldn't show up for me, rendered the Netgear unit useless.

Thanks to Babylon5 for trying to help, anyway.
Message 4 of 5
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well thanks for the update. 🙂

A possibly moot response, the extender does not need to be connected to the Internet in any way to access it, it should be transmitting its WiFi and allow connections to at least configure it from out of the box. Maybe the extender was actually faulty?
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7