× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading Nighthawk 7500 firmware

MikeMesh
Aspirant

Upgrading Nighthawk 7500 firmware

I bought this just a few months ago. I wanted to check for upgrades, so I download the nighthawk from the app store.. I had issues, so I Restored factory settings with the button on the side. I think it's working now, but, I cannot Connect using the app for the iiPhone. I keep getting a message that said cannot find router. I have one of the lasted modems / routers from Frontier. 1 z.GHzr. All in one. But, the software will not continue past that point. I also tried to download the firmware directly from the site, but, it wouldn't because it said the extender couldn't be found.. When I clicked on the link for windows 10, It took me to a Frontier page with other search options. (Not to the NETGEAR site.) (Almost like a link not found.) I then clicked on the first one to download, and the NORTON anti virus software threw a fit (Blocked it)... What do I do? Multiple issues with the product and it's app.

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band Wall Plug WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrading Nighthawk 7500 firmware

You don't need to use the app to install the firmware.

Are you able to connect to the extender's wifi network?

Message 2 of 10
MikeMesh
Aspirant

As indicated. I believe so. 4 blue lights are on, and I get a strong signal out in the backyard... But, even the website says not found...
Message 3 of 10
MikeMesh
Aspirant

Yes, I am sure it is... I just took a laptop outside and with Windows 10, it shows up under other devices as a EX7500 (Gateway).
Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@MikeMesh wrote:
Yes, I am sure it is... I just took a laptop outside and with Windows 10, it shows up under other devices as a EX7500 (Gateway).

Good.  If you connect to it's wifi network, and then navigate in your browser to www.mywifiext.net you should be able to reach the extender's web management page.  You should get a login prompt on that page.  Let us know if that works (or not).

Message 5 of 10
MikeMesh
Aspirant

I believe I was able to download and install the last update... then it took me several screens. It showed a good connection, etc... Everything was good. Then I got to a network screen that asked me to put in the network key... I tried multiple to include the modem password, account password (password to logon with a new device - phone etc., and the network key under windows... all failed, so I hit skip and completed the rest. Now nothing works. I took the extender into the same room as the modem and manually tried to connect - sevaral times. Now all devices show the extender off line and will not connect...
Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Not sure what the prompt exactly said, but normally I'd think it wanted the wifi password for either the router connection or the client-facing network.  If it prompted for a username, then it'd be wanting the user/password used to manage the extender itself.  But getting that wrong wouldn't affect the extender operation.

At this point, you can try connecting to the extender using the ethernet port, and then see if you can access the web ui using www.mywifiext.net.

Another possibility is to reset the extender and do the setup again.  The manual is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7500/EX7500_UM_EN.pdf

Message 7 of 10
MikeMesh
Aspirant

I went through the entire process 3 times with no luck... It will not connect...
Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Did you try doing the setup w/o pressing wps?

Message 9 of 10
MikeMesh
Aspirant

No, It did not... Tried every which way but loose...

No success after installing the latest firmware... (It worked prior.)

Michael
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7