× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading from Orbi RBR20(main and satellite) to 3 Pack

ashusharmaindia
Follower

Upgrading from Orbi RBR20(main and satellite) to 3 Pack

Upgrading from Orbi RBR20(main and satellite) - 2 Pack(coverage upto 4000 sq ft) OR this one:

Netgear Orbi Mini 2-Pack AC2200 Tri-Band WiFi System/Orbi AC2200

https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi-mini-ac2200-tri-band-wi-fi-system%2c-2-pack.product.100398382.ht...

to 3 Pack(7500 sq ft coverage). Getting this one:

Netgear Orbi Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System with Advanced Cyber Threat Protection, 3-pack(RBR50)/AC3000

(https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi-whole-home-mesh-wi-fi-system-with-advanced-cyber-threat-protecti...)

from Costco.

As I had a lot of dropped signals and weak signals issues in my home(just 3200 sq ft - two floors). Mostly I need to do the power shutdown every weekend. 

1. Will upgrade make any difference? Or i am just wasting my money?
  2. I want to keep the same Network-ID(Orbi31)/SSID and same password with this switch? How that is possible? Reason being there are some devices(like Nest Doorbell)-which are just pain in the butt to setup the wifi password or SSID.

I have 400 MBPS Internet download speed from Spectrum via cable modem. Yes, I have good number of devices at home but it's not too many.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Upgrading from Orbi RBR20(main and satellite) to 3 Pack

Thanks for a fairly well wrote out issue! 

What type of materials is your house? Materials like stone, brick, concrete, adobe, plaster lathe all do great jobs of blocking signals. 

You put that you've been having issues and needing to power shut down every week. Can you go into more details on why it requires rebooting? You put weak signals and dropped signals. 

How far apart is the main orbi from the satellite? 30 ft minimum distance away is required.

If you do a hardwired speedtest at the router and at the satellite, what do you get? This helps with determining if its a backhaul or fronthaul issue. 

What firmware are you on?

What modem is it you're connect to? 

Are you sure its a wireless issue? When you're having issues is it a single device, all wireless devices, or wired and wireless devices having the issue?

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7