× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use Arris SBG7580 Modem in Bridge Mode to extend my Wireless Mesh Network

AlamoEric
Aspirant

Use Arris SBG7580 Modem in Bridge Mode to extend my Wireless Mesh Network

I am trying to setup my Arris SBG7580 modem in Bridge Mode so that I can use it in conjunction with my Netgear R7800 router, Netgear EX7500 wifi range extender, and Netgear A7000 wifi usb adapter.  I can get into the Arris configuration page and set the modem to Bridge Mode but it isn't being added to the Device List in the Netgear Smart Connect Mesh Network and shows up as a seperate wireless network.

Do I need to setup the Arris modem with the same wireless credentials as my Netgear modem so that it can join the mesh network?  The devices are also in different parts of my house with no hard wired connection between them currently.  Would it solve this problem to have the Arris modem directly connected to my Netgear Router during setup?  Could I then move the Arris modem to another location to increase coverage?

Running Windows 10 - any help would be appreciated.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 5
AlamoEric
Aspirant

Re: Use Arris SBG7580 Modem in Bridge Mode to extend my Wireless Mesh Network

BTW - also using Netgear CM1000 as my primary modem for internet access and using Netgear Genie

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@AlamoEric wrote:

BTW - also using Netgear CM1000 as my primary modem for internet access and using Netgear Genie

I am wondering if there might be some confusion over what bridge mode is.  

Can you tell us more about how this is set up?  Are you trying to connect the Arris to your ISP's coax connection (in addition to the CM1000)?  Or are you trying to use the Arris as an access point or extender?

Generally speaking, routers can't operate as extenders.  Many can operate as an wired access point, but I'm not seeing that mode in the user manual for the Arris (or any reference to extender mode either).  So I don't think you can use the Arris together with the R7800.

Message 3 of 5
AlamoEric
Aspirant

definiely some confusion over what can be done in Bridge Mode hence the question 🙂

the Arris SBG7580 is a Modem that is NOT connected to the coax from my ISP - that job is being done by my Netgear CM1000

wanting to use the Arris as a wireless extender if possible - thought I could use Bridge Mode to do that

also want to know any issues with using the same Wireless credentials as my Netgear to add another access point / sub-net that devices can attach to

thanks!!

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@AlamoEric wrote:

wanting to use the Arris as a wireless extender if possible - thought I could use Bridge Mode to do that

No, that won't work.  The Arris is what Netgear calls a gateway - a combination of a cable modem and a wifi router.  Bridge mode just turns off  (bypasses) the router.  That would let you use the Arris as your cable modem (instead of the CM1000) - using the R7800 as the router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7