× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use of Nighthawk® X4S Tri-band WiFi Mesh Extender, 2.2Gbps, Wall-plug, Internal Antenna

jctmpma30
Aspirant

Use of Nighthawk® X4S Tri-band WiFi Mesh Extender, 2.2Gbps, Wall-plug, Internal Antenna

My ISP is FIOS and my configuration is the FIOS AC1750 WiFi G-1100 Quantum Gateway Router configured as an access point into my NetGear AC1900 Smart WiFi Router.  The house is 1900 square feet with 2 levels and on the upstairs I have two sons with PS/4 for gaming.  To extend the WiFi for better fidelity, can I use the NightHawk X4S wall plug ins?

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Use of Nighthawk® X4S Tri-band WiFi Mesh Extender, 2.2Gbps, Wall-plug, Internal Antenna

You can use extenders. However, I usually recommend that people move to an actual mesh system like orbi if they're needing mutliple extenders and not just 1. 

It can be done with more than 1 but it can also have stability/connection issues if the extenders are to close to each other/the router, or if the router has stability problems. 

Message 2 of 4
jctmpma30
Aspirant

Re: Use of Nighthawk® X4S Tri-band WiFi Mesh Extender, 2.2Gbps, Wall-plug, Internal Antenna

Many thanks for the quick response - to be precise, I would replace the NightHawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router with the Orbi mesh system and if I bought the 3 pack Orbi, my configuration would be to use my Verizon Quantum Router (which is coax) to connect as an Access Point to my Orbi and place the other 2 Orbi's throughout the house, correct?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

correct. 

LIke I said, you can use more than 1 extender but by the time you buy 2 extenders, the price difference isn't a whole lot (especially if you go renewed on orbi) and you'll get better performance/stability. I'd highly recommend the tribands over the dual band setups. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7