× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using WGT624 v2 as to repeat VMDG280

thomas49th
Aspirant

Using WGT624 v2 as to repeat VMDG280

Hi I cannot get access to my VMDG280 (login), and I cannot reset it as I will lose the virgin media usernames and passwords for our internet connection. In order to get my smartphone and mac book to have wireless connectivity in my house can I stock another router - (the WGT624 v2) on one of the VMDG280's back ports and thus use this as the wireless access point. Is this possible? I've read about putting the WGT into client mode using telnetEnable, but I can't telnet into mine.

Alternatively can I grab an "image" of the VMDG280 and somehow extract the username/password?
Thanks
Thomas
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Using WGT624 v2 as to repeat VMDG280

Message 2 of 4
thomas49th
Aspirant

I'd already spent an hour+ with that guide before I posted here, cannot seem to telnet into my client. At the moment, I have just taken the client (WGT), stuck it on my desk and, given it some mains power and plugged the ethernet cable in between that and my pc. I have then used

telnetEnable 192.168.0.1 00B9..E Gearguy Geardog

but I cannot telnet into it after. Any ideas?

Regardless of whether I can configure the router to client mode, will this method work... do I need to be able to configure any settings on the VMDG280 router (I don't have access to the VMDG280 control pannel)?
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if you can not make telnet enable on V3 unit then I would look other devices like wn2000rpt or wn3000rpt, wnce2001
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7