× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using WN2000RPTv3 as WiFi-to-LAN reciever

Prince_Polaris
Aspirant

Using WN2000RPTv3 as WiFi-to-LAN reciever

Okay, so I have a bit of a strange problem.  Recently, I replaced the bruised and broken 50 foot ethernet cable that runs from downstairs to my room with the WN2000RPTv3.  I set it up, connected it to the network, and plugged it into my LAN switch instead of the long cable.

However, extenders run at half speed, right?  Because they have both incoming and outgoing traffic to deal with?

Well...   what I've done is, I disabled the outgoing WiFi.  I don't need another access point, our standard router is fine.  All I want it to do is recieve the internet, and toss it onto the ethernet. 

And it works!   I get the full 60Mbps that we have in the house!  But...   only sometimes.  I don't know why, but sometimes it broadcasts at ~30Mbps, and the rest of the time I get the full 60.   What's going on with this?  

Do I need to do more than just unchecking "Enable 2.4GHz Wi-Fi"?   Or should I be connecting this thing to the 5GHz network (if it's able to)?

While I created this post, my speedtest kept returning 34Mbps.   However, halfway into writing it, I tested 58Mbps.   Testing it now, and....   59!  So it CAN handle full speed, why then does it decide to run at half speed every so often?  

It has a good signal, all four bars are green in the genie, it has a 144Mbps signal strength in the genie, and the light on the front is always green.  I didn't even know it could turn yellow or red until the internet to our house went out yesterday!  (It's fixed now, though)

So...   I dunno what to do.  And that's what this post is for 🙂

[if anyone wants a screenshot of something, I can post it, the config, the speedtest, whatever]

Model: WN2000RPTv3|WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Using WN2000RPTv3 as WiFi-to-LAN reciever

@Prince_Polaris wrote:

I just don't get it, why is it sometimes at full speed and sometimes at half!? 

There are several possibilities.  One is that it isn't close enough to the router, and the signal strength of the extender <-> router connection is changing a bit - causing the speed on that link to drop. Another is that the "friendly neighbor" policy built into 802.11n wifi is kicking in, and the router is dropping the speed.

One option is to replace the old kit with a newer extender that has faster wifi speeds to begin with.  Though if you aren't getting a solid 5Ghz connection from your router (when at the extender location), that probably won't help.  What router model do you have?

You can also use powerline networking (for instance the PLP2000).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Prince_Polaris
Aspirant

Tested it again today and it's back down to 31Mbps...   and an upload speed of 6.66, too.  Perhaps the extender needs an excorsist, too. 

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Prince_Polaris wrote:

There are several possibilities.  One is that it isn't close enough to the router, and the signal strength of the extender <-> router connection is changing a bit - causing the speed on that link to drop. Another is that the "friendly neighbor" policy built into 802.11n wifi is kicking in, and the router is dropping the speed.

One option is to replace the old kit with a newer extender that has faster wifi speeds to begin with.  Though if you aren't getting a solid 5Ghz connection from your router (when at the extender location), that probably won't help.  What router model do you have?

You can also use powerline networking (for instance the PLP2000).

Message 3 of 7
Prince_Polaris
Aspirant

Our router is a generic Arris Modem/Router that runs the cable box, the phone lines, and the internet, so we can't replace it sadly.  I have a ton of stuff plugged into the power in my room, so I dunno if that would mess with EOP or not.  Router's serial is 74V2ULAED398997 if it helps.

Is there a way to turn off the friendly neighbor thing?   And I haven't tried to connect the extender to the 5GHz network, in fact I have it turned off since most of our stuff runs off 2.4G.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Your current extender is 2.4G only, so you'd need to get a new one to take advantage of 5G. 

I don't have the WN2000RTP, but I don't see a way to turn off the friendly neighbor mode there.  You'd have to look at the router settings and see if it's in there.

Though given the age and slow speed of the extender, I think you'd be better off getting something faster (powerline, or maybe a 5G extender).  Or re-run a new ethernet line.

Message 5 of 7
Prince_Polaris
Aspirant

Yeah, I'm going with Powerline! 😄   Gonna get the adapters very soon...

Message 6 of 7
Prince_Polaris
Aspirant

Welp, let's see how these work!   Once they get here...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B5SGQDG

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7